Chapter 11: Mind Over Heart

━━━━━━━༺༻━━━━━━━

"Congratulations on becoming a Songrim member," Maidervant Park smiles at the four standing before her. "Welcome, You all have done a great job today. Tonight, you will be served a generous amount of alcohol and meat. Go, have fun, and serve yourselves a drink."

"Follow me," A manservant smiles at them before ushering them to follow him.

When they all cheerfully did so, she turns to Dang Gu. "Young Master, Are you perhaps acquainted with Mu Deok, the servant who passed the exam today?"

With a tight lip smile, he raises his head.

The finish line was five steps close and the man let out a sigh of relief as his muscles relaxed, letting his guard and thinking he had won the last place. However, a yell erupted, as another female behind him musters all the strength she has left. Her little feet ran and passed him.

She had reached the finish line.

"Number 125, Mu Deok," Maidservant Park calls. "You have passed!"

Mu Deok lets out a smile and released a heavy breath, the adrenaline fading and her muscles soaring as she lets them. Her eyes closed knowing Na Ra would quickly rush to her side. Said Lady had indeed done so. Unbeknownst to her, the strap tied to an object she treasures came undone and fell.

Dang Gu stated proudly. "Yes, I am very well-acquainted with Mu Deok."

"She fainted due to exhaustion and Lady Chung had her taken to Sejukwon," The Maidservant takes Mu Deok's bag. "I need to return the bag she brought to the contest along with this entrance plaque."

"Is she still at Sejukwon?" He takes hold of the bag. "Give it to me. I will give it to her."

Maidservant Park lets out an 'ah', suddenly remembering something as she takes it out of her pocket. "Also, Young Lady Chung dropped this when she ran up to Mu Deok."

Dang Gu stares at the object in her hand, nodding his head and slowly taking it with hesitance. He turns around to leave, heading to the library where he knew Seo Yul will be.

"For I too do not know which road to take."

The look on her face when she said so. He knew that look very well, that feeling. He can understand. The slight spark of fear in her eyes every time he attempts to draw closer to her. He was sure then, his suspicion of her was true.

"Hey, Yul," Dang Gu appears. He leaves his deep thought as he stands up and faces his friend. Meeting his gaze, Dang Gu pulls out the all-familiar whistle in hand. "Maidservant Park said that Na Ra had dropped it when she rushed to help Mu Deok."

Seo Yul's heart skipped a beat yet it ached. He understands what she feels, he does. As he too feels the mess in his judgment. The mind screams to follow the orders given, yet the heart whispers a soft no. And such a whisper was louder than the scream.

Dang Gu notices the sad look on his friend's face. "Is this not the whistle you used to carry around? The one you left at Danhyanggok."

Finally, he speaks. "Yes, that is mine."

"Then why does Na Ra have it?"

A sigh escapes Seo Yul as he turns away looking outside the window as he looks for a reason. He couldn't find one. He is a horrible liar and he hopes for his friend to notice his refusal to answer. Dang Gu notices his demeanor and smiles sadly, giving himself a reason to believe. "Did you perhaps give it to her?"

━━━━━━━༺༻━━━━━━━

A manservant has called for Na Ra telling her that Dang Gu was looking for her. And so, she walked her way to the said place; the bridge. She didn't like the sight of the bridge, having remembered the sight of Mu Deok and Seo Yul standing quite close, too close. She remembers the ugly feeling she felt at that moment.