Chapter 13: Lady Chung

━━━━━━━༺༻━━━━━━━

A faint puff of air leaves the stone's mouth. Na Ra wasn't sure if it was his breath or if she had mistaken it as one. They were surrounded by smoke from the incense sticks after all. The night had long begun, yet outside Sejukwan was bustling guards. The infirmary was heavily being kept under protection for a secret Songrim had to keep. A secret Na Ra knows is forbidden. However, breaking rules is exempted so long as it is for the good, correct? It was to look for the perpetrators after all.

Her eyes dart at the screech of a chair from Master Heo who stumbled back after attempting to stand. Na Ra quickly rushed to him, guiding him back to his seat. 

"You are tired Master Heo," She stated, disturbed by the thought that she would one day be in his shoes but she pushed the thought aside. "I will accompany them out. You must rest instead."

Master Heo nods his head in agreement. He didn't need to pretend he is still strong enough. His prime year has long past him and he has already accepted his current state. Unlike- he looks at Master Park outside from the window- he who refuses that he is growing weaker.

"Is it possible to treat soul shifters and turn them back into humans even after they have run wild?" Na Ra hears Seo Yul ask as she walked up to them. She had the same question. Essentially, this was the first time she had ever attempted to do such a thing. She did not even know it was possible to bring a soul shifter back to life after it had solidified.

Master Park sighs. "We are not treating him to turn him back into a human being. We are merely trying to keep him conscious enough for him to speak."

"So you are not looking for a way to bring them back," Na Ra spoke.

"Once a soul shifter runs wild, they are no longer human," The leader said. "They are monsters. They either feed off the energy of human beings, or they get petrified. It is one or the other. We cannot stop them from running wild."

Na Ra remains a statue face but Seo Yul looks down. "The ice stone. I heard the ice stone carries the power of Hwansu. Maybe that could stop them from running wild."

Master Park looks at him. "Yes, maybe. However, that kind of power should be forbidden to mankind."

Lighting was seen at a distance catching their attention. Eyes furrowing at where it hit as the skies roared.

"Cheonbugwan," Na Ra said. She was informed of Mu Deok's errand there.

"I will go there," Master Park turns to the two and ordered, "Seo Yul, you stay and be in charge. Sang Ho and I will go."

The two bowed down when the leader left. Perhaps it was not a wise decision to accompany them out in the end. She didn't intend to be left alone with Seo Yul.

"Then, I shall go back," Na Ra mutters.

"Yes," He hums. "I will see you tomorrow."

He was looking at her. She didn't need to see him as she could already feel his stare and she did not want to look at him at the moment. It was awkward and she was rather embarrassed. He could only look at her back as she retreated, unable to say a thing.

Na Ra enters Sejukwan, entering cautiously as she notices the sudden silence. It was too quiet for her.  Other than her, Master Heo and the purified body were in the infirmary. Master Heo was asleep for sure, but it just felt too quiet.