Chapter 43 | Hardly Have Words

VINCENZO MARTINELLI

I MAKE MY way back to the room where my brothers and I are getting ready only to find them laying around, none of them dressed in their suits for the night.

They don’t seem like they’re in the mood for this, nor am I, but we have to make an appearance.

“You’re back so soon,” Matteo says while sitting up on the couch. “Big bro didn’t get any,” he laughs while throwing his head back.

“What happened to your belt?” Riccardo laughs, and I playfully glare at him.

I shake my head and close the door behind me. “Can we just get ready so we can this night over and done with?” I ask while folding my arms.

“Yes,” they answer in unison.

Besides my brothers goofing around for most of the time, we finish getting ready quicker than I expected. I fix my black tie a bit before pulling the dark maroon suit jacket over my shoulders. My mother said something about my woman wearing something maroon so I’ll be matching with her.

My brothers and I leave the room, making our way to the ballroom. “We’ll see you in a few,” Lorenzo says while patting my back. I nod at them before they turn down the hallway to use a different door to enter the ballroom while I walk to the main doors.

“Looking sharp,” my father says once he sees me approaching him just outside the main doors. “Are you ready for the night?” He asks, and I nod with a smile. The guards standing on the sides of the doors bow their heads, and I acknowledge them before pushing the doors open myself.

The buzzing noise of conversations in the ballroom comes to a halt as I stand at the top of the staircase. “Don,” everyone in the room hums lowly, and I raise my hand, acknowledging every single one of them.

My father and I move to the second floor of the ballroom, where the rest of my family will be seated for the night. “You look so handsome,” my mother coos while holding my face. “You and Nyx will be the centre of attention,” she softly laughs while patting my cheek.

Loredana nods. “Where is she?” She asks me.

“She’s almost finished with getting ready, so she’ll be here soon,” I answer.

Everyone in my family is wearing black, so Nyx and I will stand out. I have no clue what her dress looks like, but from what my mother and aunt have been saying, it’s going to have men staring. A lot of people are here tonight, and it’s the perfect time to present Nyx as my woman, but it might serve as a danger too because they will try to use her to get to me.

She’s a strong woman and can handle her own, but I don’t want to put her in immediate danger on purpose. She means so much to me, and I can’t lose her. I love her too much for that happen.

I love her. I fucking love her.

“Let’s go,” my mother says while waving her hand in the air. The entire family follows her down the stairs to the main floor of the ballroom. We greet a few people around us and I look up at the doors, waiting for my woman to make her entrance.

“Don’t worry,” Riccardo says to me while patting my back.

This is going to be a long night.