Chapter 14

"Come in." Adams' deep baritone reverberated through the doors, as if he could smell her there.

She jumped at the sound of his reply. Though they had spoken the day of the festival she had whole-heartedly expected him to remain his elusive self.

She turned the knob, the familiar room coming into sight. Wooden carved vines curled round the large four-poster bed. Covers unkept and pillows strewn on the floor, some ripped leaving a trail of white feathers strewn about like the first flutter of snow.

The curtains were cracked open letting in thin streams of gray through the heavy fabric but it was the fireplace to the right that emanated light. Casting the dresser, the window side daybed and book shelf on the far left in an amber glow. Isabella's eyes hovered over books on the tall shelf, covered in a thin layer of dust and grime. Her fingers itches to run along their spines. To dust off their covers and lose herself in the spaces between their bindings, that told of wondrous places.

"Do you like books?" Adam asked. She had forgotten her manners and turned to face him with a bow.

"Good evening my lord. And yes, very much so." Isabelle brought her eyes back to the wolf faced beast who turned to face the window. She placed the cup down softly in its usual spot on the dresser before backing away.

Her bleeding arm was wrapped and concealed by her dress sleeve. She had taken all the proper steps this time to ensure her safety, though her heart still pounded like a caged animal.

It was the first time she had been in the room with him since the incident and the fear still shook through her fingers and legs as she waited for him to move. She'd thought they made a small connection the night of the festival, but he remained true to his character, falling silent while he gazed somberly out the window.

A red eye, as deep as her blood, fixed on the goblet in her hand before turning back to gaze out the window. Isabelle waited a silent moment longer, unsure if she should leave or wait till he drank it before she finally spoke.

"It was good to see you the night of the festival, my lord. I hope you enjoy-"

"Adam." He interpreted with a growl.

"P-pardon?"

"Adam is fine."

"You are still a prince. She was just trying to be polite." Rosie squeaked, moving out from the veil of Isabelle's brown waves.

Adam swung around at the sound of the voice, his lip curled back into a snarl, revealing two jutting fangs and rows of white canines.

"What is this?! No one else is allowed here," he snapped with a click of teeth. Eyes searching the room, expecting another maid. Confused, his head swiveled until finally catching the ball of white fur sitting atop Isabelle's shoulder.

"Hello, Adam." Rosie stood tall on her hind feet, little pink nose sniffing the air as she inhaled his scent.

Adam's nostrils flared at the tiny thing, his furrowed brows knitted atop his forehead. "A talking mouse?"

So he can hear her too. Perhaps all the beasts can?

He curiously shifted forward on massive hind paws, till he was a hair's breadth from Isabelle's face, jaw dipping to her shoulder. Isabelle sucked in a breath, not daring to move as his inquisitive gaze ran over the creature.

"You smell like my brother," he remarked and Isabelle couldn't be sure if the comment was meant for her or the mouse, but Rosie spoke in her stead.

"A horrible stench. What I wouldn't give for a bath to wash away the grime of that beasts' paws."