19. C

"Go Isabelle. Run!" Déjà vu hit her with a familiar intensity that had her body responding before her brain as quick feet carried her down the long hall.

The last thing she saw were the two figures colliding in a fury of black and brown. Snarls echoing down the vast halls to the stairs.

Isabelle paused half-way down the steps. What if the king killed him? Should she get help? Should she run back to help?

No, she couldn't leave Adam to fight her battles. He had been brave enough to step in for her. Perhaps if she could distract the king, even for a moment, she could give him the advantage.

Steeling her nerves, she ran back up the hall slowing to a halt when she came to a blood covered floor. A deluge of tan fur collided with red and black as the two beasts exchanged blows. She could see a deep gash dripping from Adam's arm. The King had gone on all fours, swiping and pawing at Adam's face as he darted around him, trying to defend with his own claws.

"Leave him be!" Isabelle screamed, trying to draw Henry's attention. "I'm the one you want!"

"Fool! I told you to run!" Adam looked up for a moment from the King. But the distraction cost him. A paw swiping across his chest, Adam snarled out a growl.

"I'm the one you want, you monster!" it wasn't a very creative jab, but it had the desired effect. The king's face swung around, eyes narrowing on her. Isabelle turned to run, looking over her shoulder to make sure he was following.

He was, and far too quickly. If she could just make it back to the stairs.

Isabelle tripped over her feet as she was looking back. Her jaw cracked, chin scraping roughly against the stone floor. She tried to pull herself to her feet, but it was too late, the king was in front of her. She scrambled backward on her hands and feet, a paw swiping out to her chest as a large black mass crashed into the side of the king, knocking him to a candelabra by the wall.

Adam roared wildly, his red eyes feral as he threw blow after blow into the king's face. Teeth biting at the king's neck as he struggled to get out from the dark fury pounding on top of him.

Isabelle felt a warm burning in her chest. She looked down, a deep red gash smeared across her chest revealing pink flesh that cried a steady stream of blood. She scarcely believed it was there. But the wet warmth that soaked her dress convinced her otherwise.

"Isabelle?" She looked over to see Adam rising from the side of the hall. The King lay still on the stone floor.

Adam stared at the blood flowing from her chest, eyes wide with alarm and fist balled at his side, fighting some primal instinct.

"Is- is he dead?" Isabelle asked weakly, the strength starting to drain from her.

"No. Just unconscious.... Can you move?" Adam bit out, taking a tentative step toward her, only to move back again as he continued to fight the bloodlust.

"You might as well have some," Isabelle chuckled through labored breath, "it's- it's just going to waste."

"Don't say such things," he snapped. Taking another step back. "Just wait a moment. I'll get one of the maids to help."

I'm not going anywhere, Isabelle chuckled at her own internal joke as her vision swam. Her eyes grew heavy and her fingers cold as her vision teetered sideways. She tried to keep her eyes on the long hallway, but it swirled together in a dark stain of gold and red.

Her body slumped to the cold floor as her eyes shut. She heard someone cry out her name. And then the world went black.

🌙