5. A

Isabelle's head whipped around at the sound of the gate closing behind them. After those gates closed, she'd be trapped in a circle of stone, forever. But...if she were to escape...

She had to do it now. Before, they took another step away from the gate.

The reins were still looped over the horse's neck and she was a practiced enough rider that her plan just might work. She sucked in a sharp breath, clenching her muscles and leaning forward. Tightening her grip on the horse's mane while discreetly gathering a bit of the leather reins into her palms. Now!

She picked up the reins, yanking hard right to turn him round and spurred the horse in the belly, kicking with all her might.

The horse snorted in shock. Spinning on its haunches and lurching forward into a gallop, back toward the gate. Back to freedom.

"She's escaping!" a voice yelled from atop the battlements.

The horse galloped towards the opening that was still steadily lowering, its spikes hanging just above her head. The sound of arrows whizzed by her. She ducked flat against its back. The horse was undeterred by threat and charged on past the gates. She was out!

"Don't shoot!" Her captor roared behind her as another arrow whistled past, the air from it brushing past her face. The moonlight glinted off the steely white feathers of the arrows that hit the ground. She whipped her head around to look back, and what she saw sent her heart thumping wildly.

Adam stood in front of the gates, a looming shadow from which glowing red eyes peered. White teeth bared, cutting through the dark in an almost vicious smile. A tremor went through her and she faced forward again, spurred on by the prospect of never having to be trapped again. Her fingers clenched into the leather, her eyes watered against the rushing wind, and a hopeful smile spread across her face.

Sorry, Adam.

A low whistle rang through the air, loud and clear, followed by a strange, rhythmic thumping.

The horse jerked its head up.

It was as if the creature realized at that moment that its owner was not atop its back, and the wretched beast skidded to a sharp halt. Isabelle lost her grip and, with a shrill shriek, she was shot forward by the sudden arrest, flying over the horse's head. She squeezed her eyes shut, expecting to meet hard earth, but instead, crashed into something warm and furry.

The impact knocked the wind out of her.

Blinking rapidly and trying to regain her breath, she looked up. She jerked back in shock at the sight of the red eyes and dark snout.

Adam.

How had he...?

She glanced back at the castle, at the torch lights that now looked like fireflies from this distance. Her heart raced as though she were still galloping to freedom.

She had just been given a glimpse at how inhuman these creatures really were. The speed, the strength...she stiffened in the monster's clawed hold on her waist.

With a grunt, he untangled her from himself. "You fool!" He gnashed his teeth in her face, ears pinned back and eyes blazing.

This is the end of it. Isabelle thought covering her head and bending low like a sapling against a strong gale. She didn't want to bear witness to her own death. She only hoped he would make it swift.

A moment passed and she was still breathing. Isabelle uncurled herself from her ball, looking up into a pair of red orbs blinking in the black. His furred fists balled at his sides and breathed heavy with restraint but he made no move toward her.