Chapter 11

The loud rap of Madam Gion's feathered knuckles against the glass-paned door echoed the rattle of Isabelle's shallow breaths.

"Enter." A commanding growl rumbled from the other side of ornate stained double doors.

Don't show fear. Isabelle commanded her trembling legs to still, but her heart galloped like an unbridled stallion despite her own warning. What did he want with her? What would he be like? More curious-what would he look like?

It was true; she had wanted to see the solarium-but not like this. Her hands twisted nervously around the goblet of her own freshly spilt blood. A bandage was wrapped snug around her wrist, concealing the newly forming scar tissue. It had only been a few weeks but she was already starting to look the part of a true blood maid.

In her pocket, she could feel slight movement. She hadn't had time to hide Rosie in her room before Madame Gion dragged her off, and Isabelle only prayed that the little mouse would remain silent in front of the beast.

Heat brushed her skin with a warm welcome as the Madame opened the doors to reveal an array of lush foliage. It was so dense that she could barely make out the shadow swaying towards them, haloed by a crystal orb of light brilliantly shining behind him like a fractured halo casting shades of green on the scene before her. Isabelle forgot herself for a moment, stunned by the vibrancy, lips parting as if she could taste the richness of the color. How is this possible?

"I have brought the maid you requested, Your Highness." Madame Gion bowed her feather crest towards the waiting figure inside. Isabelle's eyes slipped back to the figure in front, squinting against the light to make out his features.

"Go, child!" The owl hissed, pushing her forward and into the room. "Remember! Slow. No sudden movements." With that, the door clicked shut, leaving Isabelle alone with the shadowed apparition.

"Step forward," the king demanded. His tone held such authority that her limbs marched his command of their own accord, moving her forward with slow careful steps towards the towering figure.

Isabelle didn't have time to appreciate the beauty of her surroundings. Not the beautiful cobbled paths, or the carefully manicured blushing shades of pink and red flower beds. Nor was she able to appreciate the lush trees that dwarfed her small frame under towering ceilings. Her eyes were only focused on the path before her, and as she drew close the blinding light dipped behind the looming figure's head.

Her face turned a ghostly sheet of white at the thing before her and a cold sweat broke out over her skin.

Isabelle reminded herself once more to inhale her fear, but it was caught in her chest, desperately battering against her rib cage to be free; so loud she was sure the whole castle could hear.

He was the embodiment of nightmares.

A legendary creature that one would see woven on a tapestry with a brave knight charging in, felling it with a mighty sweep of their sword. But there were no heroes here. Only monsters and a girl with a cup of her blood.

She swallowed, fighting hard to stop her trembles as she stared at the king.

Dark blue eyes peered back through a curtain of long golden tresses, down to a collar of thick golden fur. A feline muzzle jutted from his face and fangs as large as daggers protruded out of his bottom lips. Ears swiveled, rounded like a cat's, and large black horns swept back atop his head. Isabelle's eyes bulged at the sight of his large furred chest as he wore no clothes save for the black trousers concealing him from below his waist. He was massive. His towering frame made her feel like David in front of Goliath.