Chapter 13

Isabelle had arrived just in time to shed her clothes in the pool of hot water with the rest of the women; earning a hard side glance through the spectacle eyes of Madame Gion. The creature ruffled her feathered tresses but made no motion to address Isabelle's tardy behavior. And in that silent glare Isabelle wondered if there was a far worse punishment awaiting, after her duties.

Any apprehension soon washed away as the warm liquid seeped into her tired bones. She sank deeper, letting her tresses pool around her in a veil of muted brown. Isabelle had the sense to avoid Jacqueline after last night; who was relaxing in the far corner of the pool, arms lavishly outstretched against the tiled floor as her flock cooed and coddled around her. Isabelle caught the blue-eyed vixen's side glances towards her but made no motion to join the herd, their high-pitched chatter echoing off the large, barren walls.

"Did you hear what Lotty did last night at the brothels? -that little harlot-"

"Hush, Emily. It's not like you were the picture of a saint," Jaqueline chided, and the girls continued their giggling.

It was mostly gossip and the regaling of last night's festivities, but peppered in the conversation, she picked up the word Sabbot. The word stuck with her like a sliver caught in one's finger, festering beneath her skin.

Isabelle waded closer to the group of girls, straining to hear above the hushed whispers. It seemed like a festival for the creatures of the castle, but the mood surrounding the event was somber. Voices tinged with worry and fear as tones grew softer and she could hear no more.

Blue dressed scullery maids flitted about like buzzing bees scrubbing and polishing each hair and nail of the blood maids with swift but silent attention. Mouths set in a firm line and worry creased their bows at the hushed gossip that floated around the room. Madame Gion's indifferent bird-like face watching with predatory eyes lest anyone speak out of line.

A freckled face brunette tended to Isabelle's long mane, swirling it up in an intricate pattern that weighed heavily atop her head. Many of the other girls were already finished. Slipping into their red robes and dawning the perfume across their necks and wrists that would keep the monster's blood lust at bay.

Madame Gion swept silently behind her, causing Isabelle to jump at the touch of a feathered wing on her shoulder. She shuddered involuntarily, and Gion's pupils dilated. A predatory response. Madame Gion removed her feathered hand, clearing her throat.

"His Majesty requests your presence before you attend to your duties." Isabelle looked up into the owl's golden orbs that reflected, once again, a cold indifference. Her head nodded of its own volition. Seeming satisfied, the bird woman's head swiveled. "Jaqueline. You are to attend his majesty with Isabelle."

Both of us? Will Rosie be there?

Jaqueline's expression gave nothing away. If she was upset over the arrangement, her face did not show it. She simply rose from her flock, a short freckled faced scully maid trotting after her, trying to pin up the last strands of her hair as she went. Jaqueline glided past the madame to retrieve her goblet and knife. Slitting her wrist in a smooth motion, walking and dripping into the cup as she went with practiced steady hands.

Not waiting to be left behind, Isabelle jumped up, grabbing hers with a small "thank you" to the blue dressed maid that handed it to her. Isabelle followed in step behind Jacqueline's long strides, toward the main throne room where His Majesty Henry was said to take his meals. Isabelle did not slit her wrists. Instead, tucking the knife and goblet carefully into one of her apron pockets. King or not, he wouldn't get a drop of it.