6: his glasses

It was almost sunrise.

Paintbrush was tired. The artist groaned and ran their hand across their face; they needed to push on with their mission. They threw their bloodied clothes and the rest of the trash bags they needed to clean up with into the dumpster. They came back to pick up the cans and throw them in the truck, and Paintbrush noticed something at their feet.

Fan's glasses.

Paintbrush picked up the glasses, analyzing them and seeing the cracks. They figured they'd bury this later on so they let it hang out of their pocket. Paintbrush grabbed more of the cans and went on their way to the car. Paintbrush slid some of the cans into their trunk, hearing the metal clinks and taps rumble in the back of their vehicle. Being in a hurry, Paintbrush was trying to fight time and the morning. Paintbrush repeated this process, going back and forth inside and out. As Paintbrush was getting closer to the last of the loads they glanced over their shoulder to see a big but short figure wearing red.

"Hi, Painty!" Apple said in her western-like accent, and she waved at them. "Hi Apple, I'm busy right now." Paintbrush tried to pull away from the starting conversation but Apple kept pulling them back in. "What are you doin'?" Apple questioned with curiosity; Paintbrush tried to find an excuse quickly, They were holding paint cans so the only excuse they could think of was loading paint somewhere. "I'm delivering paint." Paintbrush calmly explained. "Ooh! do you make your own?" Apple was intrigued. "Sometimes." Paintbrush responded, still loading the cans in the back of their car.

Paintbrush was glad it was Apple out of all people trying to interrogate them. Apple was naive so it would be easy to get past her.

"That's cool!" Apple happily complimented. Apple looked down on the floor and bent down to pick up something. "Hey Paintbrush?"

"Yes, Apple?..." Paintbrush not focusing on Apple and tossing a shovel in.

"Are these your glasses?" Apple handed the painter a pair of red glasses.

Paintbrush turned around to look in horror.

They was Fan's glasses.

A dread crawled over Paintbrush's body

A dread crawled over Paintbrush's body. They didn't want to panic in front of Apple but they were starting to sweat a bit. "Uh... Yes, Apple they're mine..." Paintbrush stuttered a little bit. "At least you found them!" Apple happily replied, Paintbrush nervously laughed a bit, not wanting to seem weird. Paintbrush took the glasses away from Apple and let them hang over their shirt's collar. "Thanks." Paintbrush muttered. "No problem, Painty!" She waved as Paintbrush was about to head off. Paintbrush got into their truck and started it after they were done loading the paint cans.

They wanted this shit to be over with.

While Paintbrush was driving they were mentally planning where to bury and hide Fan's remains. The artist only had the forest in mind, off trail in the forest would be a swell idea they thought. The painter was starting to feel a dread kick in. They killed one of their best friends in a blind rage on accident. Trophy was right, they did need to work on their anger issues. They mentally face palmed themself. Paintbrush also missed Yang. It was only a few hours but Paintbrush was somehow attached to him, and Yang was also attached to Paintbrush since they both became close. Paintbrush was also worried about how their friends would react if they found out. It was a horrible feeling and they wanted to punch themself for it.

Paintbrush was no longer feeling fine, they were feeling suicidal. Paintbrush wanted to put themself out of their misery but they... loved Yang. They weren't sure how they felt towards him but they definitely loved him. Yang was the reason why they wanted to keep going.

Lightbulb already betrayed them and caused Fan's death, so what was the point of being with her?

Paintbrush started driving off the trail into the forest. They stopped their car and landed in a remote area. Paintbrush grabbed the shovel in the trunk. everything looked dead to the artist around them. Dead leaves and leafless shrubs, it was perfect since they could cover up his grave with the tools nature gave them already. Paintbrush started digging.

After they were done burying the paint cans and making the ground look somewhat natural, they put the shovel back in their trunk and drove back to the hotel.

They needed to talk to a couple of people first.