Part Five

Accompanied by the Mystery Incorporated kids in their "Mystery Machine," Skeeta and Sonia followed Batman to Arkham Asylum and combed the area as discreetly as possible. Not very long after did Erica and Alan arrive in Erica's car, with half of the Gotham City police force following close behind. Erica spotted Gordon and Flass among the men. "Stay here," she instructed Alan as she got out of her car.

            "What?!" Alan objected. "I thought we were in this together!"

            "In what together, man?" Erica ridiculed. "I'm a cop, you're a civilian. So, stay your butt in the car, while I do my thang!"

            Of course, Alan didn't follow her order for very long.

            A few minutes after she left, he snuck out of her car and snooped around the asylum property. He noticed some activity happening within a derelict wing. While looking for a window to get a good view, he ran into a familiar, short-statured Asian woman, dressed in black.

 While looking for a window to get a good view, he ran into a familiar, short-statured Asian woman, dressed in black

            "You again?!" Alan griped.

            "What do you mean 'you again'?" Sonia griped back, visibly furious to see him there. "Why aren't you back at the Manor where it's safe?"

            "You're not my mother anymore!" Alan barked. "What's with the concern?"

            "You know, I've just about had it with you!"

            "Not as much as I've had it with you!"

            Their bickering attracted the attention of the suspicious individuals inside the building, prompting a few of them to step out to investigate. In discovering Sonia and Alan, the armed thugs held them at gunpoint and forced them inside. There, they were brought to a suited man with a grotesque burlap sack on his head that doubled as a horrifying scarecrow-type mask.

 There, they were brought to a suited man with a grotesque burlap sack on his head that doubled as a horrifying scarecrow-type mask

            "What do we have here?" the scarecrow man mockingly inquired. "A mother and son who got lost on the way to the movies?"

            "She ain't my mother," Alan declared.