Chapter 15

Ouro Kronii woke up on the morning of the 14th with a pit in her stomach. Something was going to go wrong today. She could feel it in the air already. Trying to calm herself, she turned over to look at Mumei sleeping peacefully next to her, hoping to somehow osmose some of the calm that she exuded.

"Are you enjoying staring at me?" Mumei mumbled sleepily, opening her eyes just a little.

"I wasn't staring. I was thinking." Kronii said, thinking it best not to bring up the osmosis thing.

"If you say so." Mumei yawned. "What were you thinking about?"

"Birthday stuff."

"Oh yeah, Happy Birthday!" Mumei said in the most enthusiastic voice she could manage in the early hours of the morning.

"Thanks Mumei." Kronii smiled.

"I did get you something but I accidentally got it delivered to Bae's." Mumei yawned. "So I'll go grab it after breakfast."

"You didn't have to get me anything."

"I wanted to." Mumei said, giving Kronii a look she knew meant that this was a pointless thing to try and argue.

"Well, I'll look forward to it then."

"Mhm!" Mumei hummed in assent, checking her phone. "Holy moly, we should go eat breakfast, it's 11am."

"Huh?" Kronii blinked. "That's not that late for a day where you don't have work."

"What? No, we should definitely go have breakfast."

Kronii narrowed her eyes. "What are you hiding, Mumei?"

"I'm just hungry." Mumei said, getting out of bed and putting a shirt on.

"Mhm." Kronii said, "Then you should go eat, I'm gonna get another 20 minutes of sleep."

Mumei pouted.

"I'm joking." Kronii laughed, getting out of bed and throwing some clothes on. "Lead on."

Unsurprisingly, Fauna was waiting in ambush in the kitchen. "Happy Birthday!" She cheered as the birthday girl turned the corner, coming face to face with a spread of breakfast food.

"Ohhh, wow. What a surprise!" She deadpanned, eliciting looks from the others. "Sorry, I do actually really appreciate it. Thanks Fauna."

"Mumei helped." Fauna was quick to add.

"Mostly in the ideas department." Mumei laughed. "Sorry, I expected to wake up earlier and help."

Breakfast was as lively as ever, with conversation quickly turning to the night's party.

"So who are these friends of yours?" Mumei asked.

"They're our senpais from school." Kronii answered.

"They basically adopted us into their friend group one day." Fauna added with a laugh. "It was sudden and kind of non-negotiable."

"Not that we were inclined to negotiate. Back then it really was just the two of us." Kronii smiled. "That being said, feel free to stand up to them if you need to. Knowing Ollie she'll definitely try to propose to you."

"Huh?" Mumei blinked. "Propose?!"

The rest of breakfast passed without much incident, with Kronii and Fauna regaling Mumei with stories of their friends' antics into the afternoon. Eventually though breakfast had to end and Mumei set off for Bae's to get Kronii's gift, leaving Fauna and Kronii to prepare the house for the party.