Epilogue

Ouro Kronii walked silently down a woodland path coming to a clearing where in its center lay a great unlit bonfire. Around it, 5 figures stood, all of them turning to face her as she approached.

Their faces were fuzzy messes but Kronii understood them to be friends. The shortest of the figures extended a hand and spoke unintelligible words.

Kronii knew she was being beckoned. She stepped forwards with long bold strides, taking the figure's hand.

They all looked to the mass of wood before them, an unfamiliar behemoth formed with strangely familiar things, though Kronii couldn't remember what any of the things specifically were.

Another figure produced a matchbox, lit one and tossed it casually onto the awaiting pyre. Immediately and unnaturally it ignited with a burst of heat and light.

Kronii felt a tear roll down her face. Another figure placed a comforting hand on her arm. They nodded in understanding and though she could not see it's face, Kronii knew they were crying too.

A figure produced a book and began to read. Kronii could not understand the words but again, she knew the meaning. She alongside the other five figures began to disrobe, letting their clothes fall freely at their feet. Then all five stepped forth into the pyre. Pushing through the burning rubble to the small shack in its center. Kronii pushed open its sliding door and entered.

And then, she felt herself wake up with a start. She heaved heavy breaths, as though her lungs were full of smog, patted down her arms as though they ought to be burnt.

But she was fine. However real it felt. It was surely just a dream.

A muffled grumble came from her side. "Kronii... You okay?"

She turned to look at Mumei, face down on a pillow. "Yeah sorry, just a weird dream."

"What happened?" Mumei mumbled sleepily.

"I'm not quite sure. I got naked and stepped into a fire?"

"That doesn't seem advisable." Mumei yawned.

"Sorry if I woke you."

"Nah..." Mumei said, turning to face Kronii and daring to open her eyes. "Just wanted to wait for you to be up so my first sight in the morning could be you."

Kronii chuckled a cushion in her face.

Mumei giggled, grabbing the pillow and throwing it back.

"Hey, you know what day it is today?" Kronii smiled.

"Tuesday?"

"April 26th. Our thirteen week anniversary."

"That's not a thing." Mumei responded glibly.

"The concept of time would beg to differ."

"Anniversaries should at least mean something. You can twist the maths for every day to be some kind of anniversary, that does not mean it matters."

"It's a quarter of a year. That's a milestone right?"

"Okay sure, when you put it that way." Mumei relented. "So what did you get me? If it's an important anniversary you must have gotten your darling girlfriend a gift right?"

"How about a kiss?"

"You give me a kiss every day."

"Well, like you said, every day is an anniversary."

Mumei sighed and pulled herself upright, the springtime sun bouncing off her gentle amber eyes in a way that made them seem to shine like topaz.

"God, you're beautiful." Kronii said, placing a hand on her cheek, leaning in and kissing her slowly and longingly.

"You are not too bad yourself." Mumei said as they broke away, though the flush on her cheeks told on her.

Kronii smiled. "Shall we get some breakfast?"

Mumei nodded. "Yeah."

Somewhere not too far away, the shell of a burnt out shrine sits in a clearing, forgotten by everyone who had ever known that it had once stood.

Life continues.