Chapter Eleven

Sienna

"Ollie!" Lizzy shouted, "Catch!" She tossed the ball and the over-enthusiastic dog barked as he chased and ran to get the ball.

We were in the park, one in the city because Dominic insisted, and we were sitting underneath a tree on a picnic red checkered blanket. Dominic didn't want me to do anything, so he bought those packed sandwiches, some chips, drinks, snacks, and some fruit and veggies. Since I was off, and I didn't have to worry about working or running back and forth from work to pick up Lizzy, it was nice to lie back and relax. 

We left early in the morning, stopped by his place so he could change his clothes, then got some coffee on the way, and as soon as we got to the park, Ollie and Lizzy were playing and running around. She'd take a few snack or juice box breaks, but other than that this girl was truly living her best life.

I assumed Dominic would change from suit to suit, but he surprised me when he stepped out in black cargo pants and a white tee shirt, and sneakers. He looked casual and I decided then that seeing him like this made me happy. He was leaning on the back of the tree, and my head was on his lap reading a book. 

He was drinking his fancy peach lemonade that came in glass bottles with sparkling water. I don't know. He was from the city. His fingers ran through my hair every now and then and when I'd look up, his eyes would be on Ollie and Lizzy. 

I haven't spoken to Lizzy yet, because I wanted to show her the preschool that Dominic was talking about. He insisted we show her the room he had done and decorated for her. I told him we'd go after she got tired of running around, but at this rate, I didn't even know when that would be.

The park was beautiful, clean, and fresh. The grass was cut and not mushy or muddy. There were BBQs next to each picnic table with a wooden roof and a few benches. There was a playground on the other side, and it wasn't too crowded, but there were other families. Playing, eating, and running around, and there were even some having their birthday parties with their banners and colorful balloons. 

It seemed like such a family thing to do. To be here at this park. It felt like routine as if we came here often on Saturdays, where Lizzy played with Ollie, and I read on his lap. The thing is we weren't a family. We weren't even a couple. We were...a contract, a contract that was yet to be signed.

It all depended on Lizzy and her comfort level. I wouldn't be selfish and move her around because I wanted that temporarily lavish life or because I liked Dominic's company. Life demanded more of me because of Lizzy, and I couldn't afford to be selfish and put my needs first. She was a child, and she deserved my attention. 

She deserved to be comfortable and not have her life switch up on her because of me. Life just didn't work like that. People watched those movies with single mothers, and a man that storms in like a knight in shining armor to rescue them and assumed that's how it played out. It didn't even scratch the surface. 

They don't show you the struggles, the countless mental breakdowns you have in one day, and the amount of times you cry yourself to sleep because as hard as you work and as much as you provide, you're not doing enough.

I felt a thumb massage the area between my brows. "Stop thinking so hard." He spoke.

"I'm not." I scrunched up my nose as I sat up.

"Whatever you're thinking about, just take a breath and relax. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it."

"You always speak like you're stating facts."

"What?" He asked, confused. I set my book down and sat closer to him.

"Whenever we talk, you don't ask questions, you just state the answer like you already know."