Chapter Nineteen

Sienna

Dominic's parents were...very welcoming, very sweet, and too nice. It's not that I wasn't used to nice people, it was just parents in general that made me skittish. It's not like I was expecting his parents to backhand me for speaking out of turn, but I was nervous. 

His mother, Jane, and his father, Ryan, have been married for Ryan says too goddamn long which results in Jane reminding him how much he chased after her to marry him. Dominic had his mother's beautiful hazel-green eyes, but those dark locks were all his father. 

His mother had lighter hair that she kept up using those hair claws, with her bangs down. Jane was all elegant, with pearl earrings and a matching necklace, with her gold band around her ring finger.

Ryan was all flannels, worn-out jeans, and calloused hands. His favorite subject was gardening, something Dominic had warned me about, but I didn't mind talking to him. He was funny and had that sarcasm and stubborn attitude that I noticed he got from both sides. 

It was nice seeing Dominic with his family, he was lighter and more relaxed. His mother was thrilled when she saw me, something about how she never thought her son would ever bring a girl home. I thought they'd have side comments about Lizzy, but it wasn't even a subject. 

They smiled, spoke to her, gave her those butterscotch candies, and walked with her in their yard as Ryan showed her his bushels of apples and other fruit he's been working on. Ollie was with us and was running around the yard with them and I've never seen Lizzy laugh and have this much fun. 

It was a sight. They were a family and even though I had my own internal problems with families, seeing them so close and happy, made my heart hurt yet happy at the same time.

"Sienna, you want to take this lemonade out for the boys outside?" Jane asked, handing me the black tray with the pitcher and cups. "Thank you, I'll be right out. Just let me wash my hands."

I stepped out, the Arizona heat, almost knocking me out as I walked over to them. Lizzy was throwing the frisbee and Ollie was running after it. Dominic and his father were sitting on the patio furniture which consisted of a white table with an umbrella to hide away from the sun, and a few chairs surrounding it. Dominic got up when he saw me and kissed my cheek as a thank you before taking it and placing it on the table.

"Lizzy, you want some lemonade, sweetheart?" Dominic asked.

"No! I don't like sour drinks." She told him.

He turned to face me. "Come here, baby. Come sit next to me."

Dominic patted the seat next to him and I think I blushed at how sweet to me he was in front of his parents and moved to sit next to him. He poured the drink and gave his father the first cup, then poured the other two. He handed me mine and grabbed his own and saw him gulp it down in one go. He put it down and licked his lips.

"Mom makes the best lemonade." He said with a satisfied sigh.

"Your mom's an angel." His father spoke setting his cup down. "Just look at her." He brought his hand up and we looked to see her coming in our direction. "I lucked out."

She came and sat down next to him on the other side, and I saw him pour her a cup and hand it to her. They were so affectionate, loving, and sweet toward each other. It wasn't strange to see since Frank and Sally were also cute with each other, but seeing it so up close like this, and being involved with their son made it a bit different.

"So, where did the both of you meet?" His mother asked.

"I work in a diner in town," I said. "Dominic walks in and uhm..." I looked up at him to see him giving me an amused look. I smack his chest. "How do I tell them I wanted to kill you from the moment you walked in?" I whispered.