chapter 5

that summer before i left,
we were just a pair of best friends.
but the summer i came back,
butterflies can't seem to stop fluttering.

♡♡♡

Ding dong, followed with a tune of 11 continuous knocks, which instantly let Kaycee knew that it was Sean.

"Hey Kayc! I got a small little basket of items for you and your family. I guess you can take it as a 'Welcome Home!' gift from me." Sean smiled, revealing his signature two dimples on each cheek, near his curved lips.

"Aww you didn't have to. Thanks Sean. Please, join us. My mom is preparing the table, while my dad is finishing up with the grilling outside." Kaycee gestured him in and he walked into their house.

"Kaycee, make sure to remind him to leave his shoes on!" Kaycee's mom shouted from the dining room to the front door.

"You heard my mom." Kaycee giggled and Sean sat down on one of the couches, Kaycee following him after she closed the door.

"Did you know your video is gaining a lot of views? I think it's going viral." Kaycee suddenly remembered and rushed up the stairs to her bedroom. She grabbed her phone off the nightstand, since she was having a nap prior, and showed it to Sean.

"Hold up, what? 49k views for that one video? No flipping way. That's half a hundred thousand views." Sean gently squeezed his head with his two palms resting on each side of his head, wondering if he was in a dream. To him, those numbers meant the world to him.

It showed him that he was finally making some sort of progress after not being able to for the longest period of time.

"Everyone loved it and I totally agree. The choreography was perfect for the song. My best friend is crazy talented." Kaycee gave him a hard and reassuring pat on his shoulder.

Sean smiled. Not because his video went absolutely viral, neither was it because Kaycee loved it.

It was a long time since she heard her call him her best friend. And that made his heart swell. The last time he heard it was when they were up in the treehouse, that is now way too small for the two of them to fit inside together, when she told her that they were going to be best friends forever.

"Hey, remember this?" Sean pulled up the left sleeve of his sweater and allowed Kaycee to examine it closer.

Her eyes lit up the moment her eyes glanced over at what the beads spelt out. They were handmade bracelets, made by Kaycee's very own two hands. She gave it to him when they were 10, during his birthday as a gift.

Kayceebff forever • weirdo

That was what it spelt out in with the letter beads. He got her name on his bracelet and she got his name on hers.

"Holy moly guacamole, you have been wearing it this whole time? It's like permanently stuck around your wrist too." Kaycee inspected the bracelet as she moved it around the length of his wrist.

"Do you still have yours by chance?" Sean tilted his head and glanced over at Kaycee, who instantly nodded. She rushed to get her bag, which was always her first pick for any occasion, and fumbled with the zippers.

"There's mine. I was worried it would fall off my hand one day without me realising it, so placing it on my bag with a triple dead knot kept my mind at ease." Kaycee smiled, proud of what she did with hers.