Chapter 7

As the sun began peeking over the horizon, Emiko and Nonami were already awake and had settled in to watch it. Still in their tents, fast asleep, both Usoko and Rei were snoring, the Red Oni's being especially loud, but Nonami was used to it. To Nonami, watching a sunrise was akin to Emiko watching the sunset, though without her Yokai Crystal Nonami would not dare to do so without some manner of protection.

"Sure is gorgeous, huh?" Asked Emiko, glancing over at the Vampire.

"Indeed," she replied, albeit quietly, "Though the sunrise always gives me... mixed feelings."

"Because you're a Vampire?"

"That," admitted Nonami, "but also because the sunrise is what killed my mother so many centuries ago. She had a garden she always tended, predominantly black roses and nightshade flowers. One morning, I suppose she got so caught up in her work that she didn't notice the sun until it was too late."

"Jeez," sighed Emi, placing a comforting hand on Nonami's shoulder, "Sorry to make you bring that up..."

"No no, it's quite alright," she replied calmly, "I've long since made peace with it. Besides, just about every Vampire family has at least one member who died by the sun."

Just then, her phone rang, intruding on the otherwise peaceful morning.
"Yes?" She asked, a slight bit perturbed by the interruption, but maintaining her professionalism, "Nonami here."
There was a momentary pause, and then Emiko saw Nonami's eyes go wider than they had ever been.

"WHAT HAPPENED???"

Ten minutes later, and both Usoko and Rei were awake and stood at attention with Emiko as Nonami prepared to explain what she had just been told.

"It would appear that our Yeti friend got loose from its cell back at headquarters, and proceeded to release nearly every prisoner that was being kept in the containment wing. In short, there's been a jailbreak and we're being called back to help recapture the escapees. Fortunately, Modred and Lydia were successful in getting the building under total lockdown before anyone could escape the structure. Unfortunately, it means they're locked in with every murderer, maneater and worse that GARDNA was holding. Which is to say, more than a few. Does anyone have any questions before we head off?"

Usoko, who had been groggy before but was now wide-eyed and awake, raised her hand.
"Are we uh... qualified to do this?? I mean, paper talismans and yetis are one thing, but a whole freaking mini-prison??? Not gonna lie, I'm... scared."

Nonami placed a reassuring hand on Usoko's shoulder.
"I understand, believe me, but they need every available hand they can get. They were lucky enough to get the kittens out before it got really bad, but I heard Lydia was badly hurt by an Ōmukade. Sarah and Hyoka even took down a Hellhound, which is... impressive."

"Hyoka?" Asked Emiko, turning to face Nonami. She would not normally be so deferent to the Vampire she was currently contesting leadership with, but even in her pridefulness she understood the gravity of the situation and accepted it. For now.

"Yes, Hime managed to regain her memories it appears, and discovered her true name was Hyoka."
Nonami glanced at the Oni.
"Now if there's no more questions, we need to get going. Rei, Emiko, I hate to ask but since we're pressed for time and you both can become Shutendouji, will you fly us there?"

Rei was already mid-transformation by the time Nonami had finished speaking, and Emiko wasn't far behind her.
"Of course," she replied, "But if it's all the same, I'd like to carry Uso-Chan."

"That's fine," said Nonami, climbing onto Rei's shoulders and locking her arms around the girl's massive crimson neck, "But let's get going."

Two minutes later, and the Oni were flying towards headquarters at top speed. They had not even had time to pack up camp, such was the urgency of the situation, and all four girls knew it. Usoko in particular was still pretty worried, despite Nonami's reassurances. Sure, fighting a mind-controlled Emiko, or samurai skeletons or even a feral yeti were their own things, but a bunch of hardened criminals? That scared her more than anything. She had learned enough about GARDNA to know that they only incarcerated the absolute worst of the worst, unrepentant killers, otherwise uncontrollable beasts who ate humans, and worse were kept there. True, they also kept those who were keen on revealing themselves to humans on a whim, like that one Shirime that had scarred Usoko for life, but they were at least allowed to wander relatively freely with the understanding that they could not leave unattended.
No, what they were about to face were... genuine monsters...