chapter fourteen: marking these lies

Now sitting slumped down on a tiny red stool, Y/N rubbed the temples of her forehead, her recollection of what had happened seeming like a fuzzy dream.

Her eyes were squeezed shut, blinded by the searing rays of the late sun that had leaked through the glass windows of the Home E.C. classroom.

Her one eye finally let itself peak open, and she found Kou still scrimmaging through the silver fridge across the room, his head buried deep inside the bottom cabinet as glass bottles clinked against each other.

She swore he had been going at it for at least 10 minutes ever since she woke up.

Y/N continued to watch him, her countenance already lifting slightly at the sight of Kou's usual, however unneeded, display of kindness towards her.

The girl's gaze soon darted away from the middle schooler, realization at last knocking the reality back into her.

She.

Had passed out...

in front of him.

╔═════ ∘◦ ✾ ◦∘ ══════╗

Chapter Fourteen:
Marking These Lies

╚═════ ══════╝

"Did I fall into him when I fainted?"

An image of Kou heaving Y/N all the way to the Home E.C. classroom popped into her mind, imagining how exhausted the middle schooler must have been as he dragged her through the hallways, especially up the long stairwells of the school.

Right at once, her cheeks flushed into flames, fighting the urge to run out of the room then and there. She didn't even want to know how many people must have seen her passed out. Moreover, the fact that people also saw Kou laboriously enduring Y/N's weight.

"I hope I wasn't too heavy..."

The girl smacked a hand onto her face, shaking her thoughts away.

"Umm... Kou?" she spoke, her voice remaining muffled. "Are we allowed to take things from the fridge?"

"Don't worry," He replied, snapping open the very top cabinet. "Senpai and I always got stuff from here... oh! Found it."

After he plucked a plastic water bottle out from the fridge, he hastened over to Y/N. Kou twisted the cap open for her, holding the bottle out for the girl with a bright, insisting face.

Y/N glanced up at Kou, returning him a weak smile as she took the bottle.

Kou waited for the girl to finish drinking before speaking. "Are you feeling better now, Y/N-san?"

Y/N nodded. "Definitely." She later fiddled with strands of her hair, staring down at her shoes. "I'm really sorry, by the way... I know it must have been a hassle for you to bring me here."

Kou instantly shook his head, laughing slightly. "What are you talking about?" He sent a quick wink at her, placing his hands on his hips. "You're family. There's nothing I wouldn't do for family."

All of a sudden, a flare of warmth lightened the girl, reminded of the words she held forever in her heart five days ago.