03.02.22

I woke up early today – at six in the morning. My trip was scheduled at 10 a.m. Cancelling the flight last night cost me good but I was excited enough to wave that away. I was somehow excited for the voyage in spite of what I had been going through. One may call it a crazy, costly way of escapism but that's what it was. To find 'solace in the sea', as my grandpa would have said.

Usually when I went out for a field trip or to commence something new, I would get a kiss from Aly and a great hug from my daughter as I would wave to them all the way from my car in the driveway. This time it felt more of a distant, but vivid thought. Clear in my head, craving for it.

But there I was, on the front yard, at half past eight, looking back at my home, peering at the windows, searching desperately for Aly. Oh, I loved her so much that very moment. All the anger had vaporized. Guilt, regret and resentment was clouding over my mind. I had already given my driver, Finn, his leave. I got into my car and as I was about to pull out of the driveway, I dared to look back and then I had a glimpse – a fading one, wan as dust – of my wife Aly, standing before the kitchen window, looking at the driveway. I stopped my car into a halt and just kept looking back at her. Her face wasn't quite visible to me because of the sun shining on the pane. It was all dark inside. I could only see her silhouette outlined by the window behind her. She turned around and leaned against the worktop. I heaved a long sigh and pulled out. I could feel my heart sinking.

It was quite a rush at the harbour. The closure time of attendance was half past nine. I glanced at my watch.

09:27

I cursed under my breath and looked around. The flight to the deck was around a hundred yards away. Between us was a busy crowd. Two other cruise ships had also been parked. I had one bag with me while the other six baggage had been boarded up by my assistant while I was on my way. I had sent them earlier to avoid being late. But now I eventually was.

I decided to make a run. When I was some seventy feet from the flight, I collided into a man, or rather he collided into me... Or we both collided into each other. The collision jerked the boarding pass off my left hand. I didn't have the time to look up at that man. I bent down and started searching for the pass.

"Hey, I got this". I heard that man. As I looked up, I witnessed the man smiling at me wearing a pair of chinos and a red flannel tee-shirt. He also had a green cap over his head. He had my boarding pass in his hand. "You were searching at the opposite end, mate... Looks like we are cargo of the same carriage".

He handed over my pass. "I am also on the same ship. See that? The Cathabella!", he remarked as he pointed out at the stern. THE CATHABELLA – was written on it in bold letters. We were facing its Starboard side. "Oh, yes", I said as we started at the platform leading to the stairs. Not that any conversation followed; he was walking ahead of me silently. Seemed to me as if he was going on a holiday. He only had two bags with him. "Hey, thank you, man", I said to him. He gave me a half salute, never turning around.

As we got onto the ship, we separated as we moved to our respective rooms. As I strolled through the deck over the stern to the quarter-deck, I had a great view of the luxury liner. It looked as luxurious as it charged in money, of course. A long deck with a big playing area, a big swimming pool at the other end of the deck (which I witnessed later in the day), long masts, spacious lounge and multiple gymnasiums.

But before I would proceed to the passenger quarters, I heard the ringing of a bell at the other side of the deck and then fireworks followed. I don't know much about ships but I do know fireworks are not done on a regular basis. As I was gazing at the flaring lights in the sky in confusion, the propellers started and the ship started moving forth slowly. In a small, childish excitement, I walked briskly (not running; to avoid the public eyes) towards the rails and then I was looking at what I had come for – the waters. As the ship slowly started moving forward, the water under it dispersed in a white foam and created ripples. It was actually a sight to behold for me, who had never been to a ship before.

And then it started kicking – the nausea – a ship sickness I had only heard of. Before I would retch and do my thing, I rushed at the quarters with my hands over my mouth and my bags dangling over my shoulders, walking faster this time. This time I did attract some attention. As I fumbled through the keys, I thought I would end up on myself. Thankfully, I was able to control the urge. As I checked in to my quarter, I rushed to the sink and I couldn't hold it anymore. I threw up.

I didn't come out of my quarter till evening and just lay on my bed, always having that retching feeling. I spent the whole day listening to some music or nibbling on some crackers to keep myself distracted from the sickness. As the sunset approached, the nausea started hovering away and I went up to the deck to have a look at the red horizon. As the darkness rose, the lights lit up and filled the ship with a flamboyance. As I soaked in the cool breeze, I got my hands into the pockets of my trouser and started having a look around the ship.

I returned back to my lodging after dinner at eight. The nausea wasn't entirely gone but I was feeling fine enough to sit down and write this diary before going to bed.