Chapter 6: The Hag's lair

Ambrosius and Gwen had set off from Carleon by horseback, heading towards a nearby stone circle. Grey Hill, a ring of large rocks, set in a ring by a long-forgotten race of men, the same ones who built Stonhenge and all of the other stone tombs and megaliths across Britain. As the two approached the circle, Ambrosius noticed an eerie glow coming from inside the ring.

"I have never seen much of these portals." Ambrosius admitted, as they brought their horses to a halt before the stone circle. "Whenever I approach the stone circles, they never glow or open up for me."

"That's because these gates don't just open up for anyone, Rio." Gwen sighed, as they walked towards the light. "These portals have been opening less and less, as the teachings of our lord Jesus Christ have gradually replaced the old faith. They will still open for Nimue, Menw, and I, but it is unlikely they would open for a Roman." Ambrosius winced at her words. "Sorry, but they rarely open for people without ties to the old faith. It is likely, within a few generations, these portals will disappear altogether."

"Well, for now, we had better be careful going in." As they stopped at the edge of the circle, he looked over at her. "We don't know what's happened to our missing warriors, or how much of a threat Orddu might be."

Gwen nodded at him, before turning and stepping into the light. Taking a deep breath, Ambrosius slipped his helmet and golden mask on, slipped into his personage as Arthur, and stepped into the portal.

...

Finding himself in the otherworld for the first time, Arthur was disoriented and dizzy. Everything seemed totally different- the colors were brighter, the air smelled more distinct, and he swore his hearing was far better. As the disoriented Dux Bellorum tried to stand up straight, Gwen put an arm around him.

"Arthur, are you all right?" She asked him with concern, helping him to stand. "You need to be careful, this place can be very disconcerting on your first visit."

"Thanks, I'll remember that." Arthur grumbled. As she helped him, he noticed a slightly curved iron dagger on her belt. "Whoa, Gwen... that blade. What in the name of the Saints is that?"

"Oh? That's just a gift Olsa gave me, he called the knife Carnwennan." Gwen replied, putting her hand on the blade. "He said in was made by a great Smith he called Wayland."

"Wayland the Smith? Osla mentioned him before. He's a legendary figure in the lore of the tribes of Germania, a maker of the world's greatest weapons." Arthur noted. "Olsa believes that Wayland was the hooded stranger who forged Caliburn for me." He shook his head. "I can't be sure, though. I never got a good look at his face under his hood."

"Well, made by a magic Germanic fey smith or not, this blade is made of iron" Gwen replied, butting her hand on the blade. "That will be enough to give the night hag some trouble."

The two continued onward, and Arthur looked around at the bleak and dry landscape. Few plants seemed to grow in this dead valley of the otherworld, and the skies looked misty and dark. The two made their way towards a shadowy and dank looking cave, and stopped to look into the entrance. A cold wind blew out of the cave's entrance... and from the darkness evil was suddenly upon them!

"Arthur, look out!" Gwen cried out, pointing over his head. "It's the night hag!"

Arthur barely had time to turn, before the old fey woman slammed into him, tackling him to the ground. Gwen quick pulled up her bow to take aim, but Orddu fired a lightning spell at the half-giantess, sending her flying back into the wall. The night hag jumped back upon the stunned Arthur, slashing at his iron armor with his claws.