How did I get into Steven Universe?

Submitted by GachaEvery.

So, this is my history of it up until 2020 (which is when the show ended):

I never even watched the pilot or such when the show first came out. I was watching other things and thought that Steven Universe was a weird anime (I don't a thing against anime, I just prefer not to watch it). Then, one day, my friend, HowardTheAwesome1, told me I had to watch this.

This was in 2015, where the show started getting more serious and more into the plot than a simple kids cartoon. I was reluctant, at first, but Howard promised that he'll only show me the important episodes and skip the fillers (he had Steven Universe On Demand). I accepted it and thought I was going to watch another children's cartoon that didn't interest me (seriously, I almost turned down the series).

So, I watched it and discovered that I really like it. Then, we both binged watched the episodes that were already released during the time and even the fillers. However, it was really difficult for us to enjoy it so much, because of the hiatuses and we often kept leaving the series for other things and did our own thing while we waited for the show to return.

However, this is where I tell my most favorite part of the story. After Change Your Mind, I thought I would be leaving the Steven Universe fandom for good because I hated the controversial comments and statements by those who were unsatisfied with the finale. Even though there was a movie coming, I thought the wait would be too long and decided I wasn't going to watch it.

This was in January of 2019, fast forward to September 2nd, 2019, I suddenly got a Steven Universe recommendation on YouTube, watched it and a few more videos and was like, "Maybe I should get back into it." And then I remembered that there's a movie, so I was like, "Oh, cool. I wonder when it will come out." I checked it and saw that it was coming out that night, I got excited.

But my disappointment came soon when I realized I didn't have cable (I only had streaming services) and couldn't access the movie. I cried myself to sleep that night, because I really wanted to see that movie, but I couldn't and I was going to get spoilers galore every time I see a video about Steven Universe. But then, my prayers have been answered.

I woke up depressed the next morning at 4:00 AM and saw that I got a text from Howard. He told me to check my email and I saw this huge file. He told me to download it and I did.

When I opened it, it was Steven Universe the Movie. I asked him how he got it, and he said he hooked up his mother's computer to the TV and screen-shared the TV's screen and recorded the entire movie. I have this file saved on my Google Photos, and I'm never deleting it (which means I could upload clips of the movie on YouTube if I wanted to, only if they don't get copyright claimed, no songs though).

I still owe Howard a lot for doing this. Like, he just saved me from never picking up the series AND provided me a digital copy of the movie before I even woke up the following morning. Anyways, I watched the movie, and holy crap, Spinel just hooked me on the series again. 

I probably wouldn't have taken the show as seriously as I do now if Spinel hadn't been in the movie. She revived my Steven Universe fever and made it permanent. In 2019, I've written my first Steven Universe story, That's What Friends Are For (Steven x Spinel) and Batman and Spinel (Batman x Spinel).

They're some of my old works, but not my older works. Anyway, onto Steven Universe Future, we watched the mini-series and was kind of disappointed in the last episode, mostly because Steven didn't say goodbye to Spinel and the Diamonds. Me, Howard and ReidTheSniper were discussing the show's end on Zoom and our discussion led to the creation of the Steven Universe AU Series by Samuel152, because of Howard.

His words were, "I wonder what would happen if Steven was a full human instead of half gem."

The rest was history and I've been writing Steven Universe content ever since.

9/21/2022