If I Could Tell Him (TanKana)

Modern AU!

oblivious!Tanjiro x unrequitedlove! Kanao

At Kimetsu High, Kanao finds herself smitten with the new student, Tanjiro Kamado. However, due to a mix-up, she is unable to profess her love for her crush before she moves away. Fast forward years later...

---

Kanao fidgeted with the bouquet in her hands, her pink dress wrinkled from scrunching it too much. Aoi looked at her, concerned. 

"Is everything okay, Kanao?" 

She looked up, poker-faced, and nodded, before looking down. 

It was almost her turn; good God, this was nerve-wracking. Is this how every bride felt when they walked down the aisle in front of hundreds of people? 

The set of gerbera daisies and lobelia creaked in her fists. Aoi gently ushered her out the wooden door. Tanjiro stood to the side, like a true gentleman, smiling gently. She turned a deep, crimson red, before looking away and taking her spot next to the other bridesmaids. 

Aoi followed close behind, as they all turned to look at her, the bride. 

Nezuko glowed with tears, her chest swelling as she took the final step to become that blonde's wife. On her left, she could see Tanjiro swelling with pride, for his little sister and his best friend. 

This was the union of two people he loved.

She watched as Nezuko and Zenitsu murmured their vows to each other before their foreheads connected, and they shared a kiss. The crowd erupted into applause, and Aoi broke down in tears. Hanako applauded, then jumped onto Nezuko's back, while Inosuke and Tanjiro pulled Zenitsu into a hug of congratulations. 

She hung back, afraid to get too close. Tanjiro moved to check on her, placing a warm hand on her shoulder. 

"You okay?" he asked, "you seem distant." 

"Y-Yeah, I'm okay. Don't worry. Just caught up in the moment; that's all." She smiled reassuringly at him. 

---

"I just wanted to share a toast, to all of you. Thank you for helping us through this journey. And we're finally together. Thank you to my best friends, Inosuke and Tanjiro," 

They both raised their glasses in salute. 

"Thank you to Kanao, who ushered us together. And I can finally call Nezuko-chan my wife." he smiled teasingly down at Nezuko, who hit him gently. 

"You know, if Kanao hadn't done what she did," he winked playfully, "we might not be here today. So cheers!" 

Tanjiro raised an eyebrow playfully. 

"What you did?" he inquired, a smile spreading across his face. Despite everything, Kanao found herself blushing red at the sight of it. 

"I-It's nothing," she blabbered, "just Zenitsu spouting nonsense," she chuckled nervously, not making eye contact. 

"Nonsense?" Zenitsu chuckled, "it was a miracle!" 

Nezuko tugged at her husband's dress shirt, giving him a hard stare. He coughed uncomfortably, and looked away, proceeding to converse with the other guests. 

"Kanao? Is something wrong?"

"N-No, of course not. Zenitsu's just joking around, and it was a long time ago. I'm sure he probably just got something mixed up in that head of his."