You and Me (AoIno)

*song by James TW

"Inosuke-?" she walked around the corner, her mouth lifted up in a smile. But as she turned around, she found her boyfriend surrounded by several girls, all of whom who were making advances on him, though he seemed withdrawn. 

"Do you have a girlfriend?" one of the girls, who was feeling particularly brave, asked, moving in closer.

"I- No." he furrowed his brow. They all squealed and got closer to him. 

Her heart fell. 

But what could she expect? 

All these girls were much prettier, much smarter, much more accomplished that she could ever be. 

Tears pricked at the corner of her eyes, and she spun on her heel, running back in the other direction. Inosuke caught a glance of her blue hoodie and butterfly clips in her hair, and broke through the crowd of women surrounding him, chasing after her like a wild boar. 

"Aoi!" he yelled, and she turned around in surprise, though she didn't stop running. She turned from both the shock of him saying her name correctly, and the fact that her actually noticed her. 

"Leave me alone!" she retorted, speeding up. 

"What are you- Are you crazy?!" he shouted, chasing her through the streets of Japan. She was barely even sweating, even though they were running up a hill. 

She turned the corner, and he still kept his pace, following her into a park, before she eventually gave up, settling on a branch. 

"Aoi-?" he approached her gently, before tapping her shoulder. Flinching away, she turned away from him. 

"Were you being serious?" she murmured quietly, looking at the ground. 

"About what?" he asked, and she turned to look at him, though she didn't meet his eyes.

"You know what I'm talking about, Inosuke." she implored, but he seemed confused. 

"Yes or no-!" her voice broke.

"Yes-?" he began, and she stood up abruptly. 

"Then I understand." 

She walked off, leaving him confused, and her alone. 

---

3 years later:

"AOI!" Kanao leapt into her best friend's arms, cheering as Tanjiro stood in the background, watching them with pride in his eyes. 

"I can't believe you're back!" Kanao smiled, and Aoi felt a cold surface touch the back of her neck. 

"Kanao-?" she grasped her finger, and gasped audibly. 

"A ring?" she looked behind her best friend at Tanjiro, who smiled sheepishly. 

"This is great! Is this the news you wanted to tell me?" Aoi's smile grew wider. Kanao blushed. 

"Yes... yes it was. You wouldn't believe it, Aoi!" Kanao began, hooking her arm through Aoi's as they walked through the airport. 

"Nez is picking us up," Tanjiro announced, peeking at his phone, "I'm going to go ahead and take Aoi's bag, love." Tanjiro gently took Aoi's bags before kissing his fiancee on the cheek. 

"Okay," Kanao nodded, "love you." 

"Love you too." 

"So? For the wedding? What's the plan?" Aoi nudged her friend, who blushed. 

"Well... next week. I hope you'll stay!" Kanao grasped her hand, and she laughed in return. 

"Of course! Why wouldn't I? I have break for another week!" she spontaneously canceled all her plans. 

Suddenly, a high pitched shriek sounded through the airport. 

"Aoi!" Nezuko ran and jumped into Aoi's arms, pulling the three of them into a group hug. 

"It's been so long!' Nezuko squealed. 

"Babe!" a blond pushed his way through the crowd, "I need the car keys!" 

"Is that Zenitsu?" Aoi peered through the crowd. Nezuko's face turned red. 

"Here!" 

"Thank you!" Zenitsu disappeared back into the crowd, presumably to Tanjiro. 

"It is... what of it?" Nezuko stuck her tongue out at her friend, who giggled. 

"Some things never change." she hooked her arms through theirs, and they strolled out of the airport. 

Zenitsu and Tanjiro leaned against a small van, which could carry all of them, if not more. Aoi hugged them both, and they chuckled, seeing that she hadn't grown an inch. 

"We're heading to a hotel," Tanjiro briefed her, "some of our college friends are back in town, and we're going to be staying there over the week. The weddings will be-" 

"Weddings?" Aoi screeched, looking at both of her friends accusingly. Nezuko sheepishly held up her left hand, showing off a ring with a pink gem. 

"Babe!" Zenitsu whined, "you didn't tell her?" 

"I'm sorry! I didn't know when was the right time-" she blabbered. 

"It's okay, it's okay," Aoi reassured them, "I just- shocked, you know?" she rubbed her hand over her mouth in an effort to hide her surprise. 

Nezuko and Kanao shared a sheepish look with each other. 

"So... any other surprises I need to know about?" 

"N-No. Nothing." Nezuko replied, almost too quickly. Brushing it off as nerves, she smiled as Tanjiro made a left. 

---

The hotel was lined with golden (or at least, something similar), and the staff was warm and welcoming, though they glanced at her with a sort of secretive knowing. 

"You room is here, miss." a maid bowed before her, and handed her a key, before leaving with another curtsy. 

"Thank you." she muttered softly. 

As she opened the doors, a flash of blue and green caught her eye, and she gasped finding... him standing there. 

His hair was tied back loosely in a ponytail, though is bangs still hung loosely from his two sides. his dress shirt was rumpled, and the first two buttons were left loose and unbuttoned. A light jacket covered his arms, though it slipped past his shoulders. His face seemed pleased, but not surprised that she had arrived. 

His green eyes looked as familiar as ever, though the wilderness in him had tamed just a little bit. His eyes softened as they looked at her, and he stepped forward, simultaneously as she stepped backwards into the hallway. 

"W-What are you doing here?" she spluttered, at a complete loss for words. She was now backed up against the wall as he continued looking at her like she was the only thing worth living for. 

Her hair had come loose in their pigtails, overwhelmed with stress and the airport. 

"You look as beautiful as the day you left me." he whispered softly, reaching out to her as if she was a ghost. 

"I-Inosuke... you didn't- you said-" 

"I didn't mean what I said," he explained, "I promise. I was just confused- that's all..." 

"That's it, that's why I left- Inosuke-" her voice broke, "because you were too boar-headed to understand it all! And then you- you- you are so- boar-headed. I can't even-" 

He looked at her, his emerald eyes speaking volumes to her that she would never have been able to hear from his own mouth. 

"It- was an accident-?" she asked, to which he softly nodded. 

Her eyes watered, and she threw her arms around him, before pulling back and slapping him across the cheek. 

"You're an idiot, you know that?" she cried softly, burying her face in his dress shirt. 

He chuckled. 

"I know."