P10: wither into the truth

The grinding scrape of swords being brandished and unsheathed made a satisfying hum in your ears. Your eyes honed in on the burned one encroaching on your space. It's foul cinder malodor threatened to take over your senses as it's body creaked and groaned under its weight. One more thump of its footsteps and you seamlessly rotated your wrist, effortlessly whirling your blade in a tight circle, preparing yourself for a harsh swing at the creature. As the steel caught the sun, the flicker of light seemed to slow as your heavy breaths formed a ragged beat at the forefront of your senses and the leather of your boots cried out as you anchored your feet into the ground. Your form and commitment told of a beautifully executed critical hit to the target yet your sword was interrupted before it could make home in the charcoal flesh.

Stubborn green vines slithered out of the hedges surrounding you, taking a firm hold of the monster's stump like feet and dashed it's unsuspecting body upon a rock form behind it. The force of the impact forced it's arms and legs to lurch forwards in one last ceremonious display of life before it fell limp at your feet.

Overcoming your original shock, and shamelessly admiring Terra's powerful stance and determined expression, you stepped forward to look down at the mangled heap of a burned one. Taking no chances, you drove your sword through its head with no remorse on your face. Terra still struggled to not flinch or look away despite the many times you've done this in practice and, once the slumped corpse transformed back into a pretty little gemstone amongst the grass, you looked up to see her frown.
This was quick to turn into a small look of pride once her father returned to pick up the gem, congratulating his daughter on her control and bravery even if it was against a false enemy. We all knew the importance of this training, now more than ever, and it was beginning to get some of us down, so seeing Terra's look of achievement and relief made you half-smile.
"Congratulations you two, atleast someone's willing to work with y/n." Skye jokingly said as he and Bloom began to take your places for their turn of training. He was referring to the long line of other partners you were ment to train with that day, many of which refused and the brave few that tried to work with you ended up getting in the way or being too dependent you, letting the burned one go free. You would have felt bad had it not felt so good to be paired with Terra. Not only was her magic frighteningly good, she was efficient and trusting in battle, making you two the pair to beat. It was also nice to be able to spend time with her during your water breaks and watch her meticulously work out a strategy for the next round, getting excited to try out a new way of using her magic to take down the beast, although you would never admit it aloud.

You stepped away to discuss tactics with Skye, Bloom looking frustrated and tired but willing to get some advice. Once you were confident you had given some tips to help them improve on their next try, you followed the path Terra took, to your bags so you could have a water break. What you didn't expect to see was Terra and Riven, to your understanding the two didn't get along. Slowing your steps, you thought about whether it was appropriate for you to intervene, you didn't want to come of as a possessive girlfriend before you even became her girlfriend. However, when you saw Terra's body language go from her usual open and relaxed stance to closed and anxious,her hand fiddling with the rubber seal of her water bottle, you could hardly stop yourself.
An unpredicted agitation filled you, why was he talking to her? What did he say? You felt your teeth grind down hard at the thought of her feeling self-conscious after another nasty thoughtless comment. Using the tip of your right foot, you kicked a discarded bo-staff into your waiting right hand and stormed forward.
Once you reached them you carefully spun the staff in a beautiful arch, cutting in between the two. Setting your steely glare on Riven you asked "What did you say?". Too tired to start anything, Riven backs off quickly "relax, I didn't do anything to your precious little earth fairy." He murmured as he traipsed away. Still watching him leave with an intimidating stare, you failed to see Terra blush and then frown.
"I don't need you to be my knight in shining armour you know?" Though her words weren't spiteful, they were serious and her annoyance showed on her face. Your anger wavered and a pout replaced it, although it only took a second for you to pull back up your walls.

~Terra's Pov~
Riven was... complicated. She knew he had a heart of gold under that bad boy act, and whilst Terra was first worried what he had to say was mean, he ended up complimenting her skills, which was unexpected to say the least.

Terra didn't have a chance to respond to his question as the swish of a bamboo staff separated her and Riven. Looking up, she saw y/n in a defensive stance, a hard protective look on her face. Trying not the get distracted by her defined jawline or the unfaltering grip of her sizeable hands, she was taken aback by her objection to her closeness with Riven.
Terra did feel something flutter inside her at the idea that y/n wanted to protect her but once again it was extinguished by an overwhelming need to prove to everyone that she could handle herself, further fueled by Riven's comment.
"I don't need you to be my knight in shining armour you know?" Terra only ment it half-heartedly but wanted to make it clear that she didn't need protecting and distract from her heated cheeks. However, guilt settled like a fog over Terra's brain when she saw y/n's face drop and quickly return to it's emotionless facade.
There was an uncomfortable or maybe tense pause of silence, Terra wasn't sure. She stood facing y/n whose face was slightly scrunched in thought and once again pulled and picked at the rubber of her water bottle.
Just when Terra was about to take back her original statement or run away, whatever her body decided to do in its increasing anxiety, y/n broke the silence. "Ready for round two?" Terra froze for second before blushing a deep shade of red. The rise of vermilion on her cheeks was triggered by the smug flirtatious smirk y/n now sported. Terra knew this was probably a distraction or cover for y/n's true feeling but, she could enjoy it for now atleast, right?