Its poverty

When I was younger I still remember the depression, the long strenuous hours that worked people to the bone, the money and prices that would break any family, I was still in elementary and didn't realize then what my family was struggling with till junior high, but even then I remember my house becoming bigger and my family lying to each other.

I even remember the times when I had to go out and buy food because nobody could make up their mind, it wasn't something I really thought about, just thought I had to, and it was bothersome, still I remember the prices for shoes being about 15 dollars and lettuce being 3.
One time my mom had given me $5 to spend for the family after school.

She had told me that she was gonna stop by somewhere later, and that I should walk home and make sure to buy food for everyone, even my cousin Cody who decided to stay with me. I wasn't sure then why, but it was because grandma and grandpa lost the house.

And back then all I could do was complain and cry about the slightest issue. "Why should I buy food, it's not like Cody does anything"  or I'd blame Cody for my faults, "Cody is the one who ate the bread in the pantry, not me!!!" or id whine and complain about not getting enough attention "why is dad always busy" "cody doesn't care" "mom come with me im lonely"
And then there are times I'd complain or come home and yell  "there's no point to ration food!"  " Why is mom crying?!?"
I thought about those things at school and they'd haunt my mind.

But when I got off the bus from school, I listened to my mom.

I went to the store and bought eggs and bread, on my way back I remember seeing her in this horrendous line, the "bread line" they called it.
I watched as people would come out with food and I thought to myself "why should I be buying food if she's already going there" and then I thought "why is our pantry practically dry if she's going there? Is she hiding all of our food?!?" I stomped off and went back home, my cousin acting as if there's no care in the world. It made me angry and sad. I was frustrated that my cousin didn't do anything and that my mom was in, said "breadline".

I Was thinking she was hiding food from me and I threw a large fit that night, my mom was mad and my dad put me outside to think about It.

Now that I'm older, I know the struggles. If I was still that kid, I would've been more thankful and offered more help