Chapter 12

Chrissy feels foolish for asking such a thing, but Eddie said yes and it makes her heart beat faster every time she thinks about it. They're running away together! But this euphoria isn't strong enough to cast away her guilt and shame.

She turns towards the driver's seat. Eddie is smoking a cigarette, blowing the smoke through his open window. He looks terrible, she's not even sure it's safe for him to drive right now, she's just being selfish with her silly runaway! She keeps glancing at him until they arrive safely at his trailer.

"I'll just grab some snacks and beers, then we can go wherever you want."

"We can stay here, you know. You should probably rest."

"Oh I've seen worse, don't worry about me."

He smiles at her, despite the bruises on his face growing darker by the minute. She's torn between guilt and a strong feeling of...love. Because that's what's been happening these last few days, isn't it? She's falling in love with Eddie Munson. The freak she used to watch people make fun of, but who's just a passionate young man. The bad influence who turns out to be the most caring and gentle person she ever met. So kind he would agree to go on a ride when he's in pain, with the very person that caused that pain. Does that make her the spoiled popular girl who takes advantage of everyone around her?

*

Eddie makes sure his uncle doesn't see his face as he swallows a painkiller before shoving the rest of the tube in an old sport bag. No need to worry him too much. He adds some snacks and a 6 pack, then steps in his bedroom to change his blood stained t-shirt for a new one. Lifting his arms awakens the pain in his right side and he lets out a moan. As his head emerges from it, his eyes get caught by something on his nightstand. He stares at the box of condoms - just in case -, curses himself for even thinking about it and goes for his stash of joints instead.

He's about to go when he turns back to the condoms, reaches out, curses again, clenches his fist and leaves. At the door, he swirls around and grabs an extra sweater for Chrissy. After one last glance at the condoms, he storms away, trying to convince himself that thinking about it doesn't make him as big of an asshole as Carver.

He throws the bag in the back of his van, takes a look at his broken guitar tucked on a side.

"Do you think it can be fixed," asks Chrissy.

He's been asking himself the same question and the pill is hard to swallow. Another kind of fantasy takes over his brain. One in which he drives his van at high speed and runs over Carver multiple times.

"If it does, it would probably cost more than the guitar itself. I'll just have to use my old one for a while."

"I can't believe he did that. I'm so sorry."

That annoying voice in the back of his head swells but he pushes it away.

"It wasn't your fault."

He means that. The fact that she takes responsibility for Carver's actions only makes Eddie hate him more.

"It wouldn't have come to this if I'd spoken to him this morning. But my parents arrived before we could really talk and..."

"I'm pretty sure the only thing that would have prevented it would be that we never start to hang out," he replies.

He won't let that bastard ruin what he's having with Chrissy.

*

Chrissy twists the end of her sleeves between her fingers. One of them is still stained with Eddie's blood. She feels terribly guilty. Eddie is right, if she hadn't come to him, none of this would have happened. He'd still have his guitar and Jason wouldn't try to kill him with a wrench! The gloomy music coming out of the speakers is not helping. It even has some bells tolling like in those horrid visions she had the other day. She shivers and turns to Eddie.

"Do you mind if we put the radio on? To hear if there's anything new about Fred's death?"

"Sure," he says, leaning over to eject his tape.

Instead of putting his hand back on the wheel, he lands it on her thigh. "Anything you want."

She flinches and stares at the hand sliding up on her jeans. A cold wave of fear washes over her. Something isn't right! Eddie comes whispering in her ear, "I know what you really want, Chrissy."