Epilogue

Content warning: this chapter includes mature contents (loves scenes) that are indicated in the text.

_________________________

Chrissy is getting better at ignoring the snarling and staring. No, she's getting better at fooling herself into thinking she doesn't care. But even though it might take her a while to get there, it's still progress and she's proud of it. The cheer squad and the four basketball players taking part in tonight's routine for the homage assembly that is being held in memory of Patrick and Fred are standing in the hallway by the lockers. She came back from Spring break sure she wouldn't have any authority left over any of them, except Ana, but she was wrong. Maybe they don't like having to listen to her anymore, but they all came when she asked.

Ana gives her an encouraging smile as she wraps up her speech. The last rehearsal was good but she wants to make sure they all remember to stay quiet for a whole minute when the music stops. It feels weird to be doing a dance in memory of two dead students, but the coach insisted. At least this gave her an excuse to spend the little time between last period and rehearsals with Eddie. She thinks he digs the cheerleader uniform more than he's willing to admit...

She's about to let everyone go when someone pats the top of head from behind. She flinches and swirls around.

"Wish me luck, hun," chants Eddie, walking backward to his next class.

He's expecting his results from Mrs. O'donnell's last exam.

"You've got this," she shouts.

His face lights up in a wide smile. She blows him a kiss that he pretends to catch in a silly jump before he disappears in the corner of the hallway. She giggles and turns back to the group. Stacy makes a mouth noise before asking if they're done.

She's on her way to her classroom when Jason catches her by the elbow. Her body remembers when he used to do this anytime he wanted her attention and responds as she would have then. Part of her still hopes he might come to his senses and realize the hurt he caused. Another part wants to shove him against the wall and strangle him.

"Before you lash out," he says, "I'm not trying to get you back, okay?"

She inhales deeply to stay calm and see where this goes.

"I'm just...I'm trying to understand, okay? I mean, we were good, weren't we? I don't remember doing something wrong to you."

"It's not one specific thing, I just realized you weren't what I was looking for after all."

"But you loved me."

"I-...maybe I thought I did, but...I know now that this wasn't love."

He pouts and nods a few times. For a moment, she feels genuinely sorry for him.

"Sure...Because you've found true love in the arms of the freak, right? You know what, I don't care. Go mess around with that weirdo if you like. But maybe you could consider apologizing to me for making me look like a fool in front of-"

She jerks her arm off his grip, white hot anger bubbling in her belly. How can someone be so entitled?

"Go to hell," she spats before storming into the classroom.

Her hands shake from a rage that is too raw to be hers. It bothers her how deep Vecna's imprint goes in her mind. She's starting to think she's going to have to live with it forever...

"Hey," whispers Ana next to her while their English class starts, "We could slip a pentagram in his locker during break, just to freak him out."

Chrissy turns to her friend and feels the anger deflating.