Chapter 47

Chrissy fiddles with the wrapper of her cheeseburger, glancing at her dad. He and Josh have been making a lot of jokes as they were eating, most of them about someone they usually don't. At least not her dad.

"Is...Is everything okay between you and mom?"

The silence that answers her speaks volumes, but her dad still elaborates.

"Let's just say that we...had a difficult conversation."

"If you get a divorce," says Josh, "can we get a dog? Matthew's parents got him a dog."

"Hold your horses, young man. Your mother and I are not getting a divorce."

"Uh? I thought the burgers were-"

"For heaven's sake! The burgers are to celebrate your sister coming home."

Chrissy stares at her dad, confused. He smiles at her and pats her knee.

"Sometimes, it takes a man a big blow on the head to see what has been going on right under his nose for years. I'm sorry, treasure. Your mother has been too hard with you and I should have seen it sooner."

A fizzy sensation spreads from her chest to the tip of her fingers as tears gather in her eyes.

"Now, don't get me wrong, you're still grounded for running away. With a boy!"

He pulls her into a hug.

"But your teenage years are supposed to be the best ones and for now on, I want to make sure you're as happy as you can be."

She buries her head in his shirt, wrapping her arms around him.

"And for what it's worth," he adds in a lighter voice, "I didn't like that Jason Carver so much."

She chuckles. He'll probably need some time to appreciate Eddie, but for the first time, it doesn't seem so foolish to hope for it.

***

Eddie slams shut the door of his van. Traces of paint he wasn't able to get rid of are still visible on the side door and his brain flashes him pictures of the message the oh so kind people of Hawkins left for him.

Satan can't hide you from us, freak.

It outrages him how unbothered the cop who showed him to his van two days ago was about it, even though it happened after the vehicle was towed from Rick's place. And it wasn't just the inscription, the windows and mirrors were shattered and the tires slashed! No doubt if it was Harrington's car that had been found like this, the deputy would have had another kind of attitude. But he was Eddie the Freak so he kept his mouth shut not to get into more trouble.

"Stay under the radar for a while," had say Dr Owens.

Truth be told, Eddie was a little scared about going back in town after seeing his van, so he figured this wasn't a bad idea. At least, they've put Eddie and his uncle in a nice hotel until the gate in their trailer is closed. It's a 40 minute ride to get there and the lady at the reception keeps eyeing them suspiciously, but it's better than the motel they had planned to stay at. Although, it doesn't make up for the fact that Eddie hasn't been able to see Chrissy or anyone else since Mrs Cunningham had him kicked out of the hospital.

The only news he has is from a call from Dustin, telling him that both Chrissy and Red were going back home and that Eleven will stay for at least another three weeks in the hospital. The boy was cheerful but Eddie could tell he was forcing it. If he has to guess, he'd say Dustin is having as much trouble sleeping as he does.

But today is Saturday, they'll all be back to school on Monday and he'll finally be able to take care of his little sheeps. And he'll finally be able to see Chrissy. If she wants to see him...