Chapter 40

Since the rest of the group hasn't come back from the War Zone once they finished the radio, Eddie and Dustin go on an expedition in the neighborhood. Dustin figures they can make decent shields out of garbage lids and Eddie is just happy to spend time with the boy he considers like a little brother before it all goes to hell. Away from that creepy gate.

Chrissy and Max were still in deep conversation in a corner of the room when they left and although nobody dared to interrupt them, Lucas offered to stay on guard duty. Eddie is pretty sure none of the girls would like to hear they need a bodyguard and the thought makes him smile.

"What's so funny?" asks Dustin.

"That we managed to surround ourselves with the most badass girls from Hawkins."

Just as he finishes his sentence, the sound of an engine makes them both jump behind a parked car. But the vehicle doesn't even drive by the street they're walking on. They glance at each other and burst into laughter.

"So... What did Chrissy think about Hellfire?"

Eddie almost spills the beans about what they did, but catches himself. He can't be sure if Dustin will be disgusted or tease him forever about it, but either way, Eddie would rather avoid that. He might not talk about that to anyone actually, keep it between him and Chris.

"Man, I'm this close to have her join in," he replies playfully.

"Really?"

Something in his tone makes Eddie stop.

"Would you mind if she did?"

Dustin stops too and turns to him with a sly smile.

"If you guys can keep your hands off of each other during parties, no."

"Come on, man! It's not that bad."

Dustin sniggers and Eddie bumps into his shoulder.

"You're just jealous you can't convince Harrington to join."

"This is totally different."

Eddie gives him the eyes.

"First of all, Steve's not my girlfriend."

Eddie fakes astonishment. Dustin makes a face, adding, "Obviously." and they both laugh.

"She seems cool," says Dustin once they calm down. "She reminds me of Nance."

"Hey, didn't you have a crush on Wheeler?"

"What? Did Mike told you that?"

"Cause I don't want you to steal my girl, big guy" teases Eddie while the other keeps cursing after Mike.

Their banter turns into a playful wrestle in the cover of a grove of trees. As they catch their breath, both lying on their back, Eddie grabs a handful of Dustin's hoodie.

"Time out," pleads the boy, but Eddie tugs at him until Dustin looks his way.

"Never change, big guy. Promise me?"

Dustin stares at him, confused before saying with a boyish smile, "Why would I change?"

"That's the spirit," cheers Eddie with a wide grin.

Grateful to have shared this careless parenthesis with his friend, he lifts himself on his feet and holds out a helping hand to Dustin. They keep cracking jokes but still manage to gather four garbage lids from nearby houses without getting caught. When they come back to the editing room where Chrissy welcomes him with a soft smile, he feels almost relaxed.

Then he notices the War Zone bags and Nancy cocking a shotgun...

***

Chrissy's heart lightens when she sees Eddie and Dustin coming back from their errand laughing. Nancy, Robin and Steve arrived moments before and have been unpacking their bags. Military clothes, gasoline tanks, a shotgun,... That shopping haul is highlighting the risk they're about to take and she welcomes the diversion eagerly.