Chapter 16

Eddie offers a lift to the redhead girl since she lives across from his trailer. He barely knows her - knew her brother, though, he used to sell him drugs. She looks nothing like Billy, yet, she has that same something in her eyes. A shadow. Something Eddie relates to, for he might have the same in his own gaze. If anyone looks close enough to see it. Sometimes, he thinks he sees it in Chrissy's too, he hates that.

On the way, Red asks Chrissy if she had any early symptoms before her visions started.

"I'm not sure it's related but...lots of nightmares and headaches. A few nosebleeds, too."

Eddie feels bad for her. She was obviously looking for a last resort when she came to him, but it also shows how poorly she's supported by her friends and family.

"It's like it's feeding on...your darkest thoughts."

He grips the wheel tighter. He wishes she'd confide in him, he wishes he could make all the bad stuff go away. If she lets him...He's confused by all the mixed signals he's getting from her, and terrified he might lose her if he does the wrong thing.

He stares at his trailer as they all step out of the van and the snake of shame comes slithering back in his chest. Maybe it's because he saw Harrington. The oh so perfect Steve Harrington who used to roam the hallways of Hawkins High like he owned it and has turned into Dustin's role model. As if being rich and popular and a chick magnet wasn't enough, he has added cool and badass to the list, according to the little genius. From what Eddie witnessed in that basement, he's also pulling strongly on the big brother string - it might be that part that pushes Eddie's buttons the most. This and the fact that Chrissy could fall for this upgraded version of King Steve...

Once the girl disappears inside her house, Eddie storms inside his bedroom while Chrissy waits in the living room. It's late enough for Wayne to have gone to bed, but he doesn't want his uncle to find Chrissy sleeping on the couch once again.

He rips off his sheets and winces at the stains on his mattress. He fumbles through his closet to find something clean, puts two layers of fitted sheets over his mattress, changes his pillowcases, fights with his duvet covers until eventually, his sides are burning but his bed doesn't look like a biological hazard.

He then throws away the empty cans lining up on his nightstand, shoves the box of condoms under his bed with the dirty sheets and puts his bong back in its cupboard. It's silly, she's been here before, he's not going to fool her, but it makes him slightly less embarrassed.

He turns on the radio, keeping the volume low, searches for a station with the kind of music Chrissy likes and after taking one last look around, he opens the door. Seeing her in his sweater never ceases to make his belly twitch. The way she pulls the sleeves over her hands makes him want to hug her tight. He blocks his other thoughts out and smiles at her. "It's not the Ritz, but it's better than the couch."

She smiles back and walks in, only meeting his eyes for a brief moment.

"I'll be right there if you need anything", he says, pointing at the living room.

She lifts panicked eyes on him, his guts twist.

"Or, uh...I can sleep on the floor."

She primes her lips and stares at her feet. "It's okay, you don't have to."

She looks so miserable, he surrenders to the urge of taking her in his arms. The way she hugs him back only confirms how scared she must be. He squeezes her, greeting his teeth as pain starts radiating again from his right side. And because he doesn't know another way to ease the tension, he gently pulls her away, keeping his hands on her waist, and forces some cheerfulness in his voice.

"Hey, do you want to through some more DnD stuff?"

She stares at him, then down at his lips onto which she brushes her finger tips. "Does it hurt?"

Eddie is too busy hiding the fact that his skin suddenly feels too tight for him to answer anything more than "Not really." She's so close. All those images he's been trying to lock down come flooding his mind, tearing him apart, trying to convince him that kissing her would solve everything. Or at least make her forget about it for tonight. Make him forget about it too.

Like in slow motion, Chrissy rests her hand on his shoulder and stands on her toes. Eddie lets out a shaky breath, eye crossed from staring at her mouth. So close. She lifts her chin, eyes half closed, then tilts her head. He doesn't dare move any muscle of his body. Heat pulses from his belly - who is he kidding, it's coming from lower - his palms get sweaty while Chrissy's lips come oh so slowly touching his. He's not breathing, not even sure this is real. He might still be tripping in the back of his van. She drops back on her heels, his hands slip upward on her sides, lifting the sweater. Their eyes meet, he searches for signs that this wasn't an invitation and when he can't find any, he leans over.

*

Chrissy welcomes the blissful rush of heat that spirals all over her body as Eddie pulls her closer. She slips her hand on the back of his neck, grabbing his jacket with the other. For a moment everything stops to exist, except for Eddie's mouth on hers - so gentle, so desperately wanted - and his arms around her. She feels safe and cared for and even when they part, in a little smacking sound that spreads pins and needles on her skin, that feeling lingers in.

She rests her face against his chest, afraid looking at him will make her want more, and carefully wraps her arms around his waist to avoid hurting him. For a brief moment, she feels guilty, kissing another boy so shortly after breaking up with Jason, but Eddie pecks the top of her head and the thought passes. She'd give anything for the world to stop spinning, for the two of them to stay like this forever. Eddie strokes her hair and because she feels free to do so now, she moans softly.

The radio plays 'Hopelessly devoted for you' from Grease. She feels Eddie burying his face in her hair, breathing in, his fingers still combing through her curls. They start rocking to the music. She wants to melt in him, let his warmth keep all the terror at bay.

"I wasn't, uh..." he starts, his voice hoarse, like the words have been stuck in his throat for too long, "I wasn't sure you wanted this. I mean...We're, uh...People are gonna talk."

He digs deeper in her hair, scraping slightly against her neck. She shivers. All this time, he's been right there but she barely laid her eyes on him because of what people said. For all she knows, she could have had those arms around her for years...But because she cared so much about her image, she deprived herself of it, and now she only gets to enjoy it for as long as she can survive Vecna. She shuts her eyes, presses her face tighter against his chest.

"I'm tired of being scared of what people think."

He puffs out a laugh. "Yeah, fuck 'em all!"

She envies how easy it is for him. Or how easy he makes it look. She squeezes him and feels him jerking. She apologizes, stepping away in a hurry, already feeling cold. Eddie tries to keep her close with a firm hand on her back, assuring he's fine.

"I keep hurting you."

"You're not- Hey, look at me."

He slips his hand along her jaw, curls his fingers in the curve of her neck. She leans against his palm as his thumb rubs on her skin and lets him gently lift her head until their eyes meet.

"I'm fine. It's just a little sensitive, that's all."

"Still...It's my fault you've got all these-"

He shuts her up with a chaste kiss that flips her heart upside down and makes her belly tingle. When he pulls away, he's smirking.

"You forget the part when you came to my rescue like wonder fucking woman!"

She giggles, shaking her head. If only this could be her world now, laughing with Eddie. The touch of his thumb on her cheek feels nice. So does the weight of his hand in the small of her back. Makes everything go away.