The Outlanders Who Caught The Wind (2)

"Look, ancient powers do not talk! Period!"

Cale just stared at Bud who looked just as bewildered as he was, he noticed that even Taylor was looking at him in the exact same way. Their mutually confused staredown was interrupted by a deep booming laughter which came from a very muscular man with long messy brown hair.

"Kahahaha! I don't know what's with you but my ancient power doesn't talk!" Toonka, who had been surprisingly quiet the whole time, admitted in the midst of his laughter.

The leader of the Anti-Mage faction had been eyeing the young redhead with interest the whole time. And contrary to what everyone believed, he did listen to some of what was said during his entire stay at the cinema. Judging from the spear that Cale had onscreen, it's confirmed he's a fighter. Whether or not the redhead is strong for Toonka to fight is the question here.

He felt a familiar rage when he saw how the redhead seemingly used magic, the same damn weapon those mages use. But the anger quickly dissipated into great confusion when it was revealed that Cale had an ancient power.

Ancient powers weren't considered magic, and thus cannot be used by mages.

That meant Cale Henituse was not a mage.

That was what made the barbarian tyrant so interested in the redhead. Even though he was a noble and can seemingly use magic, Cale Henituse didn't seem to be the same as those assholes from the Whipper Kingdom who act like glorified nobles, especially with his complete disregard for etiquette.

From Toonka's perspective, Cale Henituse was a walking contradiction.

(Unbeknownst to Toonka, his strangely calm mind was a result of Red as a precaution that he would not mindlessly battle anyone and interrupt the viewing.)

[A/N: Sorry it took an OC to get Toonka to actually start thinking and go to the start of his character development. Because I think at this point of time, he wouldn't be listening to anyone other than Harol anymore.]

His right-hand man, Harol, just stared at his leader in disbelief at the fact that the barbarian even responded at a conversation that wasn't about a fight.

At the same time, Alberu gazed at the confused redhead, his blank expression hiding his bafflement. Like Cale Henituse, Alberu had also acquired his ancient power through his mother but not once had he ever heard her voice.

(Within the quarter Dark Elf's gaze was also envy, jealous of the redhead for being able to speak with his deceased mother when Alberu could not. He quickly buried that emotion in the deepest part of his mind.)

"See!?" Bud gestured to Toonka to empathize his point.

Deruth's mind was in turmoil. Since when did his firstborn have an ancient power? When did Jour have an ancient power? Even after he first married her, Jour was a woman of mystery, but to think that she hid so much.

What more did Deruth knew nothing about? Did he ever truly knew Jour or Cale? Were they truly secrets? And if not, were they simply things that he never bothered to ask?

Did he ever bother to reach out to them?

Seeing Bud so utterly confused, Cale felt the need to calm him down.

"Maybe I'm an exception? I did get transported to Teyvat." He suggested.

"I have the records of ancient power users in the Directory. Any book I read didn't mention being able to hear voices." Was what the Mercenary King wanted to say, but held his words. Because Cale did have a point. Perhaps he is an exception and there were too many unknown factors.