3 - The Legacy of a Name

"Where have you been? You are requested in the main hall" Griff snorted at her miserable look, then escorted her to the palace.
"Did something go wrong? The guests didn't appreciate the supper?" she asked nervously.
"No. Father called a new little audience with our guests' leaders to announce his decision. Get changed and go talk to him".
Lou reached her room without complaining and Livi helped her to wear a different costume.
Then she moved to the main hall, finding her father sitting alone by the large table that was already cleaned and no trace of the banquet was left.
"Luthien!" he welcomed her, waving at her to approach him "Where have you been all day?".
"Studying?" she suggested "Watching our people welcoming our guests? What's going on? Why another audience at this late hour?".
"Darkness is at our doors again" he said gloomily "I decided to send a little army to enforce theirs. No, you can't go" he added noticing the expected light in her eyes.
"Let me guess: but my brothers can" she snorted and picked an empty seat.
"They will represent me in battle" he said dismissively "Is it too much to ask you to assist me at this late hour?".
She tilted her head and glanced at her clothes "I didn't dress as your servant for nothing. But be quick. I'm so drowsy that I could unintentionally cause a diplomatic accident".
He smiled at her "Thank you, Luthien".

She took position and stood in a corner until the guards announced the guests and guided them into the hall.
Luthien watched the Queen Regent march in, but another woman soon caught her attention.
Not mortal, an elf.
And her beauty was so striking that killed Luthiens's self esteem.
And then she noticed the group of men. Her eyes were caught by the view of Halbrand.
Confusion made her feel dizzy.
Was he a leader? She didn't think he was a nobleman. His fighting skill could have earned him a good rank in the army.
She watched as the Stewart of Pelargir showed his guests their seats around him. Then the guards closed the doors and she was trapped in the hall with them.
Luthien waited for her father to shot her the glance, the signal that it was time to fill the guests' glasses.
She grabbed the carafe with the finest wine and started to serve the Queen Regent, keeping her head and her eyes low as she felt her intimidating gaze scanning her, almost like skinning her alive.
Then she moved to the elf, who was more empathetic and even thanked her softly.
Luthien allowed a little smile to show her gratitude, then poured the wine for the men.
She stiffened when she served the last one, Halbrand.

He was also staring at her as she filled carefully his glass

Was he expecting her to make a mess with such a delicate task, after she showed him her skills with the sword?
"Thank you" he said softly and in his tone there was no amusement or mocking, just a sweetness that left her speechless.
She had to be silent anyway.
She just slightly bowed her head and stepped back to reach the corner.
She felt the Queen's unforgiving look.
"Well? Is she allowed to be part of the audience?".
Luthien held her breath like she was just hit with an arrow.
"I trust my servants" the Stewart said with some irritation.
Luthien looked at him and he shook his head weakly, signaling her not to react to the provocation.
"And we're here to discuss of more urgent stuff" the elf intervened "Or are you afraid that a servant will run in the night to warn our enemies?".
The Queen checked her glass.
"Would you like for my servant to taste your wine first?" the Stewart teased and waved at Luthien.
She stifled a chuckled as she approached the Queen again. She picked the glass and took a little sip with an easiness that irritated the royal woman even more.
"I'm sorry to hear of your wife's passing" the elf said to the Stewart, moving the attention on other topics, that weren't easy for Luthien to digest.
She retired quickly to her dark corner.
"Yes, but I don't regret any moment I've spent with her. Nor any sacrifice I took for her" he said sternly, then he took back the control of the situation and briefly explained his decision and how his sons would lead the expedition to the west.
The elf spoke more than the Queen and in the end everything was settled.
The Stewart thanked his guests and dismissed them.