4 - By the River Anduin

Waiting was always the worst part.
Luthien was so restless that she felt sick.
She tried to find some peace by sitting by the bank of the river Anduin, letting its whispers shooting her.
Nightmares were used to haunt her sleep. Orcs and evil wizards destroyed her world and she was never good enough at fighting to protect and to defend herself. She often had to wander in dreams, to run away, scared and alone, struggling to find a haven in a burning world.
Recently in her nightmares the water had swallowed her city and she was lost in the sea.
That night she had a different dream.
She was reunited with Halbrand, hiding in the armory. He had wrapped an arm around her and he was so close that she was afraid of breathing normally.
She felt lost in his staring, until he tilted his head, leaned closer and pressed his lips on her.
Luthien woke up with her heart beating so fast that even breathing was painful.
Usually dreams faded in her waking hours, but that one stood vivid in her minds.
She could remember clearly the touch of his lips, their warmth, his tensed muscles trapping her against him.
Luthien spent another day by the Anduin, repeating that little dream in her mind again and again.
Why it felt so real? Did something happen to him in battle?
Did he fall and his spirit came to visit in her sleep to kiss her goodbye?
Some tears escaped her eyes as she silently prayed any God, any power ruling destiny and the universe, to let her see Halbrand alive one last time.
She didn't know what she would tell him, if she'd be brave enough to confess her conflicting feelings for him. She knew too little of him, yet the little moments they shared together had been enough to touch her heart and her soul, until they couldn't stop whispering his name.
What her destiny would be?
If he came back, would she leave with him and wander through the world with him?
If he was gone, would she wait into the woods, by that river, for someone like Beren to come to find her? Or would she just wither and fall like the leaves surrounding her when winter came?

I've no rest nor comfort,
no comfort but song

She repeated to herself, whispering to herself the song that she had meant to sing for him at his return.

A/N

Thursday 29th September 2022

Just a very short chapter to kill the wait 😊

Few hours to go and the new episode will be out 💥
I'm so very impatient and nervous, fingers crossed for Halbrand not to be revealed as a villain 🤞😅