For Science

She administered one spray of her favorite perfume on the pulse points on each side of her neck, then another one on her wrist that she briefly rubbed between her arms. After a short moment of hesitation, she added a last one right between her breasts. This was the secret spot, the one that always sealed the deal, and she knew it.

Not that she was going for one at all, of course! It was a barbecue with friends, not more, and she had carefully put together her outfit for the day to look as if she put in just the appropriate amount of effort while still looking casual enough. A little bit sexy, but not fully glammed up: with a pair of black leather ankle boots, a tight pair of skinny jeans, ripped open across the knees, a tight tank top showing off her cleavage that was further accentuated by the push up bra she had chosen for the day – she was competing with two new moms who were breastfeeding their babies, after all – and an oversized knitted hoodie jacket since it had gotten a bit chilly now that autumn was almost over. Her hair was styled in rough beach waves, falling over her shoulders as she liked to show it off, it was almost reaching all the way down to her butt by now.

One final look into the mirror while reaching for her sunglasses, followed by an approving nod and a satisfied smile: perfect!

She didn't want to lead him on, by any means, but she still wanted to make an impression, as in: making him feel a certain pride that he had gotten to spend the night with her, maybe making him feel lucky, perhaps, and... maybe even making him secretly wish that they could do it again.

Which they wouldn't, of course – but still. Sometimes she just liked playing the part of ‚the one that got away'. She enjoyed the yearning looks, even though they were just friends. And by now, after those weeks of regular phone calls and texting, they might even be better friends, closer than they had ever been!

And she couldn't help but be proud of them! A few weeks ago on the morning after, he hadn't been able to leave her house fast enough, only to once more flee from Sean just hours later all in order to avoid running into her, and she herself had had no idea how on earth they would be able to act casually around each other during the convention in Paris. And now, they hadn't just put in the work to fix their relationship, but it was stronger than ever. Now, they could even look forward to meeting later today at this barbecue and give each other a hug. As friends.

„Lola! Levi!", she called for her dogs while rattling with her car keys and both of them came running, panting, wagging their tails, excited to go on an adventure. The barbecue was strongly ‚kids encouraged', after all, so that most definitely included her little rascals too.

***

„By the way", Sean said after hugging his buddy who had just arrived with his two children, „Lana is going to be here soon, she just texted me."

Instantly, Colin blushed. „Wha... Why... I know? Why are you telling me this so explicitly?"

„Just in case you want to get a head start running away from her again", he smirked.

„Very funny! You know I wasn't ‚running away' from Lana."

„Yeah? Well, it sure looked like it... anyway. Glad you guys could make it today!"

„Hey there, mate!", Rebecca greeted him with a tight hug.

„Hey, how are you doing? How's the family?"

„Splendidly!", she turned around, smiling at her husband who was holding on to his son with one hand and carrying his baby girl in her car seat in the other.

„Hey there, who do we have here?", Colin beamed, bowing down to get a better look at the sleeping little girl, seeing her for the first time today, „She's so cute! What's her name again? Guinness?"