23 | here with me

OUTER-RIM

OUTER-RIM

'My friend, if you are receiving this transmission, that means you are alive. You might be surprised to hear this, but I am alive too. I guess we can call it even. A lot has happened since we last saw each other. The man who hired you is still here, and his ranks of ex-Imperial guards have grown. They have imposed despotic rule over my city, which has impeded the livelihood of the Guild.We consider him an enemy, but we cannot get close enough to take him out.If you would consider one last commission, I will very much make it worth your while. You have been successful so far in staving off their hunters, but they will not stop until they have their prize. So, here is my proposition. Return to Nevarro. Bring the child as bait. I will arrange an exchange, and provide loyal Guild members as protection. Once we get near the client, you kill him, and we both get what we want. If you succeed, you keep the child and I will have your name cleared with the Guild, for a man of honour should not be forced to live in exile. I await your arrival with optimism.'

Mando looks over at Kenny who raises a brow, 'No.'

'This could clear your name.'

'The Empire is after me, not the Client, they'll only come back harder.'

'But we can save the Child.'

She looks down at the kid who is asleep peacefully in her lap, hand latched onto a braid she'd done in her hair earlier that day when she got bored.

'He'll betray us.'

'He might not.'

'I'm not doing this again.' She says pointedly.

He sighs leaning forward and ringing his hands together, 'If it goes bad we leave, we don't stick around.'

'Promise me.' She says, gaze hard as she stares right into his visor, 'Promise me that if anything goes bad, that you will take the kid and go, you leave me. I can handle myself.'

He stands and shakes his head, 'I'm not leaving you. Not again.'

She sighs, 'I made a promise to myself, the moment I laid my eyes on that kid, I promised myself I would do everything to protect him. That means sacrificing myself, if it goes bad you take him and you leave.'

'Look at me,' He doesn't move as she stands, arms shifting to hold the kid, she places him down in his cot and closes the lid to let him rest, 'Look at me, Mando.'

He sighs and moves his chair to face her, 'Promise me.'

He stands up making her take a step back so she can look up at him, 'Only if you do too. If you need to leave me behind you go.'

She stares up at him and breathes in deeply before nodding as she looks down at his boots, 'Fine, yes. I promise.'

He nods his head and goes to move back to the pilot's chair but she grabs his wrist making his whole body pause, 'Say it.'