Chapter 2

“I think I want to tell him.”

It is Eddy’s second day back in Australia, and he’s currently at Moge Tee, drinking bubble tea with Asher, who is his classmate and close friend at school.

“Tell what? To whom?” Asher asked, not sure what topic Eddy’s on right now.

“Tell Brett… You know what.” Eddy said in a low voice, as if there were people close enough that could hear them.

Asher’s eyes opened wide. “Really?! Eddy, are you serious? Why? What makes you change your mind?”

“Sheesh– People are looking at us.” There were a few curious glances as they heard Asher’s shouts. “I really need your advice, mate, that’s why I asked to see you…”

“Sure, sure, no worries, man. I’ve got your back.” Asher lowered his voice and did a light punch on Eddy’s shoulder. “Quick, tell me the reason. And how are you going to tell him?”

“Well… I read a book while I was in New York, and it kind of convinces me to tell him… I have no idea how, though. Didn’t think that far yet.”

“Is it a romance novel? What’s the book about?” Asher asked while going back to sip his drink.

Eddy scratched his head. “Uh– There are romance is the novel, but I’m not sure if it counts as romance novels…” He was trying not to give away plots in the book, while explaining how the book convinced him to confess. “And… It’s about the life of someone changing their body every day.”

“Interesting… Do you think I will like it?” Asher did a little hum. “Also, have you tested the water yet? To Brett?”

“It’s… well, now that I think about it, maybe you’ll like it. And no, that is what I came here for… I want to drop some hints here and there, well, more obvious hints than before, and see his reaction. But I’m not sure what to do.” Eddy let out a big sigh. “I can’t even think properly since I’m back, whenever he’s around me.”

“Hmm……” Asher had both his hands under his chin, one over the other facing downwards; that’s his thinking posture. They fell into silence while Asher was lost in his thoughts.

Eddy realized his feelings towards Brett not long after he entered the Con almost two years ago. And Asher is the only person that knows this; he is like Eddy’s safe space whenever he wants to talk about his feelings. Being a good listener, particularly interested in romantic situations, Asher is more than happy to hear and help Eddy out.

He was quiet for a minute or so, and then he looked up at Eddy.

“I have an idea… But mainly, I need more insights to know how to drop hints. What do you think?”

“I’ll go for anything now… Just let me know.”

Asher’s suggestion is essentially the following:

1. Let him read the book to know the ‘secrets’ (which Eddy claim there aren’t)
2. Eddy needs space to think, so it’s best to stay away from Brett for a while. The solution is to join him to work at the bubble tea shop they’re at

Eddy is very suspicious about this whole plan, but then he doesn’t know what else to do. He nodded tentatively. “Okay… For how long, though?”

“Let’s start with a week or two, and we can both be thinking about this, me after reading the book and you while you’re away from your source of trouble.”

“Hey! He’s not my source of trouble.” Eddy pouted.

“Okay~ Okay~ He’s not. He’s your soon-to-be boyfriend, future husband, future lover~” Asher sing-sang.