Chapter 3

Eddy didn't lie when he said this wasn't the type of book Brett usually reads. Not that he did not like it, though, just as it's said, not his usual kind of book.

Brett closed the book with a sigh. He stood up, stretched a bit, and then fell back onto his bed, facing the ceiling.

He has mixed feelings about the book.

Not about the writing per se, he's not about to judge that. It's just...

"I feel like I read two stories in one book..." Brett said to no one in particular, probably to the ceiling that can't give him a response, which is what he needs at the moment actually, someone – or rather something – that can just be there and listen to his inner thoughts.

It would be an understatement to say that Brett is in turmoil right now.

As a musician, he decides to solve his problems with music.

He pulled out a folder full of pieces he hadn't touched in ages and randomly drew one from it.

Paganini Caprice No. 16. What a great choice.

When did I last play this? Brett thought to himself. Probably in high school. Oh, I think I played it on a school tour to Italy.

As Brett began to play, his mind soon became occupied with the amount of forte markings on the sheet music and the string crossings he had to do.

Picking an unfamiliar piece to play is a coping mechanism for Brett when he wants his mind to be off of something. It never fails him whenever he tries it.

§§

There are two things Brett has realized after reading the book.

1. Eddy has a crush on someone
2. I'm in love with Eddy

There are also two questions, though.

1. Who is Eddy's crush?
2. Should I confess or not?

Usually, the two questions wouldn't go together, but in Brett's case... He thinks he is the suspect of the first question.

And usually, this realization should be a great thing. Brett should go straight to Eddy's room and tell him, so that everything can be said and no one will suffer.

The thing is, he can't. And the reason is in the book.

The first story Brett read is obviously the one written by the author, which is exactly what he thought when he first read the text on the book cover – a story of someone having a different body every day.

The second story, however, lies between the highlighted paragraphs and sentences that Eddy made in the book.

§§

Brett's not 100% sure Eddy likes him, though, maybe like 55%. So there is still a pretty high chance of Eddy's crush being someone else. He needed more evidence.

The first thing he did – well, other than allowing himself a few days to absorb and do some self-observation – was to write down all the highlighted parts in the book, just in case Eddy came and asked for the book back.

He is definitely not as calm as his actions seem, but Brett is used to having a strong outset for others to see. Not that he will and dare to meet Eddy right now, who's the only person he once allowed into his slightly crumbled world.

If someone were to ask Archer, or any other semi-close friends Brett had that also knows Eddy – which is basically 99% of them – they would all agree that Eddy's an open book, and Brett is the opposite.