Chapter 9

After closing the door, Brett stood there for a few more seconds, trying to process everything that had just happened. He initially heard multiple alarm clocks ringing without being turned off, that's why he went to wake Eddy up, but before he opened the door, he heard his name being called, and then...

That hit differently... Brett thought while trying to calm his breathing down, hand on his chest.

He could feel his cheeks burning with embarrassment and soon heard some sound coming from the r oom behind him.

"Fuuuuuck, ughhhh" '

§§

After that incident, it was like they were back to the summer after Eddy's trip all over again, Brett wasn't able to see Eddy much, most of the time just hearing him through the dorm walls.

He didn't try to catch Eddy simply because he didn't know what to say, but he also knew this was not the way to live onward. Archer and a few of his friends noticed his absence recently and offered help or a hearing ear, which he all but refused.

This is not a topic to be shared and kept between the two of them, even though after days of contemplating, he still didn't know how to broach the topic. After day 3, what he came up with was the potential reason Eddy's avoiding him – perhaps too embarrassed – and after day 5... he just knew that there were definitely more reasons aside from sheer embarrassment, it's been too many days for that to be the only cause.

One evening, he was sitting in the campus common room with Archer and some classmates, not like he had anything to do with them, he knew Eddy would be home already, so he was just escaping reality.

Brett felt his phone vibrate in his pocket. He pulled it out to see a message from Eddy.

"hey"
"can we talk" Sent 9:36 pm

He sighed and was ready to put it back when Archer took notice of his actions.

"Eddy?" He asked quietly.

Brett jolted a bit as he was not expecting people to see it, but realising it was Archer, he nodded gingerly after glancing around slightly.

"I can drive you back?"

Shaking his head with another sigh leaking, Brett took a stretch of his upper body and stood up. "I'll take a walk."

As he informed the group of friends on the side, "I'll go with Brett." Archer quickly grabbed his cello and bag to follow behind him.

§§

"I thought you're going home?"

They were walking out of the campus but to the river bank just behind, it didn't seem like Brett had a destination, though. They came to a stop at the Ferris Wheel, which was currently operating though not many people were on it.

Seeing as Brett still didn't speak up, Archer tried once more. "You want to take this...?"

Brett sighed again and shook his head. "I know you want to know what happened with me and Eddy, but I really can't tell you."

The atmosphere was soothing, with slightly humid air and a 22°C temperature, it's been days since Brett was able to enjoy the weather in Brisbane, he took a big breath, feeling the weight on his heart lighten a little.

"You guys are off for DAYS, let me know and maybe I can help?"

Not wanting to admit it, but honestly, Brett really needed some external help right now, there's no way he can say what actually happened, though.