Chapter 4

Brett quietly followed Eddy back to their dorm, not knowing what to say.

It's not the latest that he came back, and also not the first time he came back with an out-of-battery phone. This is, however, the first time Eddy was out here looking for him, or maybe, waiting for him.

They stepped inside the dim living room with only the lights from Eddy's room illuminating it. That looked like a path to walk on. Brett thought distractingly.

Just as he was about to return to his room, Eddy suddenly turned and hugged him from behind.

Brett was stunned. What is happening?

"......"

They can hear and feel each other's heartbeats and pulses, though they might be too occupied with their own feelings to actually acknowledge that.

An eternity seemed to have passed, as they stood there in the eerily stifled atmosphere.

Brett has now become much calmer after the initial shock. Eddy is probably going to flee if I don't caught on to him. He thought.

Should I turn quickly and catch him or do it slowly?

He decided to gradually pull up his hand to his chest, hovering over the arms around him. "...Eddy." And before Eddy could flinch and take back his hands, Brett put down his violin case and grabbed onto him then turned around.

Their eyes were already accustomed to the darkness, as they looked into each other's eyes. Before Eddy abruptly turned away trying to hide his bunny red eyes.

He tried to pull out his hands to cover his face, but to no avail, Brett kept them firmly in his hands.

Maybe I should be brave for once. A thought crossed Brett's mind. Just do it.

Brett reached out his right hand and brought Eddy's head on his left shoulder, his other hand still holding Eddy's arm, now closer to the wrist.

Badump– Badump– Badump–

Not even 3 minutes had passed, with Brett's hand doing tiny circles on Eddy's back. Brett felt a bit of pain coming from his own back. Without enough support with the weight of a head on it, I don't think I can last. He doesn't think Eddy's comfortable like this either. His back and waist are probably hurting from leaning down for long as well.

Eddy still didn't speak, though. As Brett expected.

He contemplated a bit on whether to move them to the couch, or maybe this is too much for a day, they should talk another time.

Taking a step back, making sure Eddy is standing on his own. Brett suddenly had an idea.

He looked straight into Eddy's eyes, and said it slowly: "I want you to be honest with me. Even if it hurts. Although I would prefer for it not to hurt."

Eddy at first avoided his gaze, but hearing what he said, he slowly turned his head towards Brett. Eyes cloudy and a bit unfocused. Maybe with a little bit of shock or surprise, Brett isn't sure.

I think this is enough. He squeezed out a little smile, and then left with his violin.

§§

Brett came back to his room and leaned on the door for a moment to calm himself.

I really said it. He thought. His breathing was quick and light, his heart rate also back at Allegro. I hope he recognised it was from the book.

There's a single knock on the door, so quiet that Brett would've missed it not if he's leaning against it. He immediately held his breath, not wanting to miss the slightest action from the other side.