Chapter 5

The self-discovery journey Brett went through in the past two weeks was... confounding. That's the way Brett would put it.

Before reading the book, he didn't ever entertain the possibility of being in a relationship with Eddy.

Well, he didn't even think he liked Eddy to start off with.

And, the story is actually the leading cause for him to realize his feelings. Not Eddy's quotes and notes.

Their  situations are totally different, but when he lived through the lives  with the main character, he couldn't help but notice the bits and pieces  that resembled his feelings as well.

   I guess this is the power of well-written characters. It lets the reader feel connected. 

He didn't finish the book in one setting, though, so he's not  sure when and in which section he started to have these realizations.

He did have some documentation as records, as his approach to analyzing is a bit more methodical.

The  notebook Brett used to write down Eddy's quotes and notes has a section  for Brett himself to put the ones Eddy didn't highlight but touched  him.

If you had just flipped through the notebook from the start,  you wouldn't have found them. Brett has a habit of writing from the  back for things he doesn't know where to put, particularly things that  are more like a secret.

This time, he did it even further. He put it on the last 23rd page, to resemble Eddy's birth date.

§§

Now that Brett has come back to look at his notes, he's getting more and more certain about the whole thing.

   Because when something happens, she's the person I want to tell. The most basic indicator of love.

I think this is one of the first sentences that got me thinking about his importance in my life. Brett thought.

Someone  might object to this, but Brett knew, this was different for him. This  thing they had between them for the past few years, the trust and giving  they gave each other, is definitely not just friendship.

   People are rarely as attractive in reality as they are in the  eyes of the people who are in love with them. Which is, I suppose, as it  should be.

Brett felt his face burn a little when seeing this quote. He  doesn't really want to accept the fact that, after realizing his  feelings, this can't be more true.

He would say though, this paragraph is the most influential one so far.

   The moment you fall in love feels like it has centuries behind  it, generations– all of them rearranging themselves so that this  precise, remarkable intersection could happen. In your heart, in your  bones, no matter how silly you know it is, you feel that everything has  been leading to this, all the secret arrows were pointing here, the  universe and time itself crafted this long ago, and you are just now  realizing it, you are just now arriving at the place you were always  meant to be.

He wouldn't say it's a precise moment, though, the feelings are  already there, gradually building throughout the time, and maybe Eddy  had tried to hint at him even.

They've known each other for  years, and Brett doesn't know how many out of them Eddy has liked him  already. He definitely felt like missing out on a lot of things due to  his denseness.

Even though, for some unknown reason, Eddy doesn't  want things to change, Brett is determined to make it happen. He will  make sure the bad things Eddy's worried about won't happen, and they  will have a happy ending.