Chapter 10

Eddy was once consulted by his junior from high school about life in the con, and there's this one question he himself doesn't know how to answer.

How do you get yourself off while living in a dorm.

He had never thought about that before moving in with Brett, and after they had settled, the routines just came in nicely. It's never been a concern to him before.

At the time he was asked, it's only been a few weeks since cohabitation, he ended up dodging the question by joking around and paying it no mind afterwards.

After two years now, in hindsight, it's not that hard, especially because they're sharing most things in life, information-wise, so it's very easy to find a time he's alone when he knows Brett's whereabouts.

This time, it was a total surprise and an accident.

§§

It was already Friday evening when Eddy finally mustered the courage to talk to Brett. He knew Brett would usually be out with friends to end the week. Hell, he himself joined sometimes. But today, he really hoped Brett would come back early.

He has been waiting after he downed his dinner since 8pm, sitting in the common area, ready to spot Brett. A sound in his mind kept telling him to stop, at least go back to his room and not sit there like a girl trying to catch her boyfriend taking someone home.

So he tried to find something to do, acting like he was busy when Brett came back. Crouching down beside the drawer under the TV, he decided to pretend to tidy up the stacks of DVDs and CDs there.

Some of them have that memorable bright pink sticky note on it, the handwritten notes on top were nearly unrecognisable to Eddy. The only common thing he could tell was that he had not seen any of those yet, either movies or animes.

As he idly stared at those scribbles on pink papers, Eddy thought back to that night when they sat on the couch listening to Debussy together. He really enjoyed spending time with Brett like that, just the two of them, without any outer pressure and purpose, too. I wonder if this is never going to happen again .

Randomly picked out one of the animes he hadn't watched yet, he was not in the mood to care whether Brett left this for them to watch together, plot himself onto the couch and started watching.

He managed to finish three episodes before his nerves got back to him, and he felt like he had to do something to stop himself from overthinking.

Before he knew it, he was back in his room and found himself looking at the card Brett gave him the day after with an apology.

Ultimately, the universe doesn't care about us. Time doesn't care about us. That's why we have to care about each other.

Time doesn't fix everything, I suppose. Eddy thought to himself and took a long sigh. Maybe I can try. 

"hey"
"can we talk"
9:36 pm

He couldn't bear to see their chat history, the last time being the day before the incident, when they celebrated Brett's birthday for the first time since they knew each other. So he closed his phone as soon as he hit send.

He stayed like that, spreading out on his bed, for a few moments before panic started to bubble. What am I supposed to do when he came to talk to me? Should I apologise first and hope he forgives me and continues to be friends with me? What if he doesn't want to talk to me anymore?

And who did he always turn to when facing his Brett problems? There's only one person.

"how would you deal with an embarrassing accident that happened between you and your best friend?"
9:54 pm