Prologue

-Eddie's perspective-

    It was like any other day as I browsed through the library. I was just trying to find a book that I hadn't read before. It's kinda hard when almost every single one of these has been here since the dawn of time.

    Research could be so hard...who knew?

    At the current moment, I was searching for true crime books. I loved reading horror stories. Especially psychological or murder. However...writing said stories were a different story.

    I've been trying for what seems like decades to try and perfect it. Checking out all of the books, however...probably made me look super sketchy.

    I sighed and took a seat next to the closest computer monitor. In the corner, there was this kid with a bowl cut printing out millions of flyers. Kid must not have to worry about money...colored copies cost a solid fee.

    He was chatting pretty loudly with what looked to be his friend. I knew her. She was in one of my writing classes. Insisted that the only writing she would do would be for the big screen. Believe her name was Robin?

    The copies had finished printing and the kid picked them up to head out the door. He was obviously stopped by the librarian for payment... the kid was patting his pockets like crazy.

    You've gotta be kidding...this kid doesn't have money?

     I got out of my chair and shook my head. He should know better. He's at a private school. Nothing is fr-

     Are those band flyers?

    Mike's in band...normally he complains about everyone in band. Why don't I know this kid? Why is he making copies? Is he doing this without the school's funding?

    He's...dedicated for sure. I mean...a member of band that's new and has such a passion for it? I can't help but want to help.

    The kid started to rapidly shake his head "I don't...have the money for it"

    The librarian started dragging it away from him with a sigh. "I guess it'll just be scrap paper for the time being....I could write notes on it"

    I can't believe I'm doing this.

   "No no. I'll pay for it." Kid must have a hypnotic thing that made me feel bad for him or something. I mean I didn't even know him...but I couldn't help but want to help him.

    I saw him glance at me multiple times up and down. I awkwardly smiled back at him before pressing the 10 dollar bill onto the counter and winked at him. Might as well look cool while doing it.

    "Love your dedication, kid. Band's lucky to have you. We'd love to see more of that in the group I'm in. You got plans after school?" What am I doing? Mike's going to be such a bitch about adding someone new...

    The kid shook his head slowly before simply gawking at me. I realize that I'm not exactly...the best dressed but damn...can he not? "What kind of group?"

    Did he genuinely have interest?

    "I hold this...club after school. We need new members to officially be a club. Most people aren't dedicated enough or think it's lame... it's actually a Dungeons and Dragons club." I smiled a little more meaningful as I handed him one of the makeshift cards I have in my pocket for Hellfire.

    The kid...was smiling ear to ear. I...I'd like to be his friend. "Yeah! I'd like that...when's the first meeting?"

    "After school today, actually." I could feel the outer corners of my lips rising. "See you there?"