Chapter 1

-Eddie's perspective-

     As I walked into the classroom nearly last, I noticed some familiar faces. Robin, Mike, Dustin, bowlcut kid...and...Steve.

    He looked even better than the last time I saw him. While some would argue that a further cemented down hair is superior, I preferred the good ol floppy hair. Especially when it came to...well...him.

     Steve wasn't just the most popular boy in school. Far from it. He's been my crush for years. Since freshmen year, years.

    It's unrealistic. I knew that. Steve was the star example for what the school emulated, ya know...minus skipping school occasionally.

    He was the talented choir boy. He's always been a step ahead.

    While normally, I was just simply a watcher from the shadows, this year decided to screw me over. We have multiple classes together.

    The crush didn't make any sense. I knew that as well. We'd never formally spoken. He didn't even know my name.

     So why...did he have to take band? I'm simply doing bowlcut a favor...so why do I have to go through hell doing so?

     I slowly sink into the corner and take a breath as I try not to look over to anyone. It's best that way. Blend into the shadows and only make myself known when I wish.

     However, I already fail and make eye contact with the kid with the bowl cut. I shot him a smile before putting my fingers into the shape of guns and firing them at him awkwardly. His face lighting up.

    Glad I...make someone happy being here. Maybe Mike will be happy to see me as well. His dungeon master, saving his ass once again.

    As I looked over to Mike, he sent me a confused glare but then shook his head to look over at the ground. I guess that answered my question if he was happy to see me.

     "Listen up, gang!" All of our eyes shot forwards to Mrs. K as she had her hands clasped together with a wide smile. "I'm super excited to welcome FIVE new additions to our wonderful band! Let's do our best to make them feel at home! Now..I normally do introductions on the first day of class, but since we didn't get the pleasure, please introduce yourselves! Say your names and the department you joined the school for! It'll be a nice little..get to know you I think."

     Robin stepped forward awkwardly and introduced herself. Honestly, I already knew everything. She wanted to do film. No matter what it was. She's in junior year.

    "Awesome! Now...the young gentleman next to Robin." Mrs. K pointed over to Steve with a wide smile. "Can you introduce yourself?"

    Steve basically slid to in front of everyone with a
smile. "Steve Harrington. Year 12. I joined Hawkins for the choir program. It's super fun and...probably easier than learning an instrument but I'm going to give it a go!"

    Mrs. K then brought her hand over to the corner where I stood "And you?"

     I felt my heart start to race through my chest. People would actually...know me. My age. My interests...god...Steve would know me. Chill out. You got this just play it cool Munson.

      I slowly stepped a little out of the corner with a small wave to everyone in the room "Eddie Munson. Year 12. I joined Hawkins for their writing program. I love being able to tell stories..so I figured literature would be great for me."

     I quickly went back into the corner due to hearing my heartbeat in my ears. He knew my name. He already tried to run after me...now he knew my name.

    I nervously started to play with the rings on my fingers as I leaned back onto the wall. Toning out everyone else's introductions. I know...shitty thing to do but I was super anxious.

     Somehow, the introduction period finally ended and the newbies had stayed in the corner we were at. I strayed a little from the absolute corner. Everyone was setting up their instruments minus bowlcut who was walking up to us.

     "Hey guys! Have you picked your instruments yet? I know how hard and confusing it can be..." He nervously rubbed the back of his neck before smiling at us.

    "Percussion." Me, Argyle and Steve blurted out at the same time.

    I felt my heart drop. There was no escaping this man. Every interest...he was there. It's like he wanted me to pine for him.

     Argyle turned to me and Steve before holding his hands up for us to high five. I faked a smile and hit my palm against his.

    Steve had no right to make me this anxious. I was like a schoolgirl...and he didn't even know me.

    "I'm joining the trumpet with you, Will." Robin smiled at who I suppose name was Will. Thank god. Can't keep calling him bowl cut for the rest of his life.

    I couldn't help but tone out again. Robin and Steve chatting amongst themselves as Will dragged Jonathan over to Mike.

     I acted like I was looking at the possible percussion instruments...but all I could look at...was Steve.

    I'm so screwed.