Part 1 - Jules

I winced when I looked at the upcoming week's schedule – I was supposed to work every shift with Eddie Munson. I tapped the schedule that was pinned to the bulletin board, thinking of my next move. I turned to Alan, the shop owner, smiling weakly.

"Alan – you know how much I love and respect you, right?"

"I'm not changing the schedule, Jules."

"Oh, come on!" I whined. Alan looked up from the paperwork on his desk, smiling at me. I walked over to his desk, placing my hands on it and leaning close to Alan. "Eddie hates me."

"He does not hate you," Alan sighed, rolling his eyes before going back to his paperwork. My mouth dropped and I continued to stare at him. Alan turned back to me, shaking his head. "What, Jules?"

"You're joking, right?" I was being dramatic, really wanted to get my point across. Alan rubbed his eyes, careful not to ruin the eyeshadow he meticulously applied every morning.

"Jules – we're short staffed right now," Alan lectured. He leaned back in his chair, crossing his arms. "Ever since Marcie quit—"

"Because Eddie broke her heart, and she couldn't bear to be around him!" I interrupted. Alan raised his hands, sighing deeply.

"Ever since Marcie quit – regardless of the personal reasons as to why – I can't be as flexible with the schedule, especially for perceived grudges that you seem to see everywhere," he smiled wryly. "So be upset with Marcie, not with me."

I rolled my eyes, removing my hands from the desk and leaning my hip against it. I looked at him for a bit.

"Fucking Marcie," I quipped. He laughed, nodding his head.

"Fucking Marcie," he remarked back. He nodded to his office door. "Now get back on the floor."

I groaned, making Alan laugh again, and left his office.

I re-entered the eclectic music store, glancing around at the different aisles. Alan had spent years cultivating the different artwork hanging from the walls and ceiling. His record store – simply called The Sound – was one of the more unique stores in Hawkins, Indiana, bringing in all sorts of different clientele.

Alan had hired me two years ago, right after I graduated high school. I showed up every day for a week, begging for a job, following him around the store while listing all of my positive attributes. Alan finally conceded, and we had gotten closer over the last couple of years. He often tells me that I'm one of the "best surprises" he's had in a hire. I know he really means that he used to think that I was annoying, but then I had eventually grown on him.

I loved working at The Sound. I loved all of the different people that came in, the interesting music they recommended and stories they told. Once a month, we'd have a local band come in and host a concert to get them more exposure – we'd have booze and everything, giving half of the profits to the band performing.

I got to the front of the store, placing myself behind the front counter. I started sorting through the returns in a milk crate, determining which items would need to be sorted back into the shelves today. The door opened, ringing the unique wind chime Alan had placed there. I smiled brightly before looking up.

"Welcome to The Sound! Let me know—" I glanced up, my smile faltering a bit. I tried to maintain my cheerfulness. "Oh, hi, Eddie!"

He pulled the aviators off of his face, raising an eyebrow at me. He did not smile back. He stuffed his sunglasses in his leather jacket pocket before stomping past me to punch in for his shift.

"Julia," he commented coldly. I bristled, watching him head back to the office. I shook my head, going back to the returns. I started studying a David Bowie album, fascinated by the stained-glass design on the front.