Part 5 - Jules

Eddie and I were finally – finally – getting along.

After he offered me that initial shot – an act that was akin to our own Treaty of Versailles – we continued to joke behind the counter, making fun of the terrible band Alan had chosen to showcase. Eddie started a bit where he described my future with the creepy lead singer, going so far as to tell me the colors that we were going to have at our wedding. I was excited at the thought that Eddie and I could potentially be friends, cautious in how I told stories and asked questions so I wouldn't annoy him.

"Would we have a DJ or live band?" I asked. He flashed a grin – it always caught me off guard when he did that, always made my heart catch. I was so unused to it.

"Live band – it's the only way he would get an actual gig."

This made me belly laugh, catching the attention of some of the concert goers. Eddie nudged me.

"Better cool it." I winced, suddenly worried about upsetting him. He smiled again. "Otherwise, you'll ruin your chances with him."

I smiled again, relieved. I looked back at the concert, noticing Alan make his way towards us. His dark hair was mussed – he was probably running his hands through it, exasperated about something. His hair often looked like that when I was pestering him about something.

"They are fucking awful," Alan placed his elbows on the counter, burying his face in his palms. I smiled before patting his shoulder.

"You better watch it – that's Jules' future husband up there," Eddie teased. Alan looked up, bemused.

"Didn't know that was your type, Jules."

"Oh, yeah," I joked, looking to Eddie. "Nothing like a long-haired hippie who doesn't shower. Really gets me going."

"Surprised you haven't jumped Eddie's bones yet, then," Alan remarked. My eyes crinkled as I laughed.

"No, I think Eddie showers – that would rule him out." I turned to Eddie, waiting for him to continue the joke.

My smile disappeared when I noticed how angry he was, glaring at Alan. My stomach dropped – even the joke of him and I together upset him? It wasn't like I even thought that would happen; I wasn't pining after him, hoping he would notice me. I was well aware of his disdain of me. Maybe we would never be friends. I tried to resolve the issue.

"Sorry, Eddie, Alan was just joking, I know we'd never—"

"It's fine," he cut me off, looking back towards the band. My stomach dropped, knowing that we were back to square one. This wasn't fair – I wasn't even the one who upset him.

"Eddie," Alan warned. "Play nicely. I'm the one who made the shitty joke."

I felt a wave of relief came over me, thankful for Alan coming to my defense. Eddie rolled his eyes and shook his head.

"Sorry, Jules – Alan's right." He grinned at me again, and I smiled back as my heart skipped. Alan turned back to the band – the lead singer was stumbling on the makeshift stage, slurring his words into the microphone. Alan groaned.

"I can't wait for this to be over." Alan walked off, pulling at his hair again. Eddie and I were silent, not looking at one another.

"Sorry about that." Eddie said this abruptly after a long silence. I smiled – he never apologized before. Maybe we would be friends.

"It's okay – I'd hate the idea of dating me, too," I tried to joke. He looked at me strangely, and I flushed. Had I said something wrong again?

Before he could say anything, the front door opened. I smiled widely as Steve Harrington walked in, followed by a girl with strawberry blonde hair.