Epilogue - 4

"I'm dying," Jules croaked, her voice cracking and her face pale. I smiled as I stroked her hair and helped her sit up in my lap.

"You're okay, pretty girl," I cooed, wrapping her close to me.

"You need to go home so you don't get sick," she insisted, shaking her head. I kissed her forehead and pulled the blanket up around her. I made a face at how clammy her forehead was to my touch. She noticed and her lip started quivering, and I immediately felt guilty.

"Don't get upset, I'm not going anywhere until you feel better," I said, resolute in being the best doctor I could be for her.

A particularly nasty flu had been making the rounds lately, and Jules had been vigilant in doing everything she could to make sure she avoided it. She had us take vitamins every morning, she was constantly washing her hands and lecturing me to drink as much water as I could. I was only half-serious about it, deciding that if I got the flu, I got the flu.

Jules, unfortunately, had been the one to get it, despite all of her efforts. A couple days ago she had started to feel achy, and despite how much I had rubbed her shoulders or back, she felt worse. Last night was when she had started getting bad, her fever picking up and making her the mess that was currently wrapped in my arms. She whimpered in my embrace, and I pulled her tighter.

"I'm so cold," she whined. I smiled at my girlfriend.

"Come here, pretty girl," I said quietly as I lifted her up.

I guided her to my bedroom, holding tight to her as she sniffled. I got her to my bed and laid her down, trying not to giggle as she flopped down onto the mattress. I crawled in with her, pulling her onto my chest and tucking the covers in around her tightly. She shivered and I kissed the top of her head.

Jules was normally my nurse - when I was hungover or when I had a headache - and she was so good at it. She knew exactly what I would need, when I would need it, and never once complained about taking care of me. I was happy to pay her back for all of the care and attention she had given me.

"I took so much vitamin C," she said pathetically. I smiled.

"I know you did, baby," I replied. She nuzzled further into my chest, and I felt my heart pick up. Even when she was feverish and a mess, she still made me weak in the knees.

"And I practically washed my skin off because of how much I washed my hands," she continued.

I smiled wider and started rubbing her back. Jules was always my favorite brand of sunshine but seeing her this whiny and full of ire was a nice change of pace. I got to be her sunshine this time. She hummed happily as I moved to rubbing her shoulders.

"That feels nice," she sighed. I kissed her forehead and made another face at the amount of sweat she had on her forehead. "Quit kissing my forehead, its sweaty and gross and it's going to make you stop calling me pretty girl."

I laughed at how she read my mind and looked down at her.

"I would never stop calling you pretty girl," I cooed. She looked up at me and I kissed her quickly. "Pretty girl."

"Maybe you're the one who has a fever and it's making you have hallucinations," she quipped. I crinkled my eyes and stroked her hair.

"No, I still think that's you," I teased. She smiled weakly and closed her eyes.

"I love you," she said quietly. "Thanks for taking care of me."

I felt my heart pound in my chest and pressed my forehead to her clammy forehead.

"Always. I love you more," I replied. She nuzzled closer to me and closed her eyes, finally drifting off after a day of her fevers and fits. I kissed the top of her head and plucked the book I was reading from my nightstand. I absentmindedly stroked her hair as I read, careful to make sure I didn't wake her up.

----

I wearily opened my eyes, finally feeling a little better after days of misery. Eddie was snoring, louder than usual, and I tried not to wake him as I repositioned myself in his arms. I was unsuccessful as he groaned, waking up with me.

"Sorry, sorry, sorry," I rasped. He shook his head and rolled onto his side, pulling me close to him. I nuzzled my head into the crook of his neck.

"Do you feel better?" he asked quietly, scratching my back. I nodded.

"Much," I replied. I kissed his neck and looked up at him. His eyes were still closed, but I could tell he was awake, still scratching my back and making me feel better. I kissed him softly and felt my heart catch when he smiled. "You're a very good nurse."

"Anything for you and your sweaty forehead, pretty girl," he teased. I laughed and moved my hands into his hair, scratching his scalp and making him hum happily. He always loved when I did this, and he had been so sweet and attentive for the last couple of days, I was happy to do it.

I furrowed my brows when I noticed how pale he was. I kissed his nose.

"Do you feel okay?" I asked quietly. His face twisted and he kept his eyes shut. I smiled and wrapped our legs together. "Oh, my grump, are you sick?"

He whined and finally opened his eyes, sniffling.

"I thought I was going to be okay," he said quietly. I smiled and shimmied farther up in his hold, kissing his forehead.

"Want to be miserable together?" I asked, scratching his scalp again. He nodded and buried his face in my chest, taking a deep breath in. I kissed the top of his head and held him close, happy to miserable with my favorite grump.

---

A/N - A very short and sweet idea I had for these two.