Part 12 - Eddie

I jogged over to the passenger's side of the Beast, opening the door for Jules. She hopped out, staring at her feet as she rambled her thank you's. I raised my eyebrow at her – she was weirder and more squirrelly than usual.

I followed her to the shop, smiling as I watched her walk. She was still chattering, gesturing as she talked. Her hair was still curly and wild, bouncing as she talked. I was so pleased with myself that I had managed to pull this off.

I woke up early this morning, still riding high on my evening with Jules. Especially the news that she had turned down a date with Steve to hang out with me. I could still smell her on my skin – that, I think, was imagined, but it still made me dizzy.

I couldn't fall back asleep, excited at the thought that Jules and I were going to work another shift together. I rolled out of bed, practically skipping to the kitchen.

"You're in better spirits than usual, nephew," Wayne commented as he came through the front door. He had just finished his shift, tired and ready to get to bed. I smiled at him. He came over to me, leaning against the counter as I started the coffee.

"Yeah, I am I guess," I replied, still playing it cool. My uncle, lamely enough, was my best friend. I told him everything – I remember when I moved into the trailer after my dad was finally shipped off to prison.

It was the end of my seventh-grade year – Wayne had even moved across town to make sure that I could stay in the same school. I had been so insistent, adamant about staying near my crush but refusing to explain why. It was hard enough losing my dad; I couldn't bear to lose the thing I looked forward to the most in school.

I walked into the new trailer – well, new to us, I guess – as Wayne nervously walked around, showing me the different rooms and areas. Wayne had never wanted kids, and his piece of shit brother's preteen was not something he was prepared for.

I settled into the couch, watching Wayne as he heated up some TV dinner. I was trying not to cry – I was the age where I still wanted to all of the time, but I was too old to do so. Wayne noticed, but pretended he didn't as he sat by me, handing me my plate. We sat in silence before he broke it.

"You want a beer, nephew? I think all new friendships should start with a beer." And with that – Wayne's insistence on treating me like a human, his equal – Wayne was my best friend and confidante. I had even told him about Jules – he was excited for me when I came home however months ago, panicked that she had showed back up in my life.

"Did you have a good show or something?" he asked, rubbing his face. I looked at my feet.

"Yeah, I did," I replied quietly. I almost didn't want to say the next thing out loud – maybe it wasn't even real. "Jules came. We hung out after, too."

"Get out of town!" he exclaimed, playfully punching me in the arm. "You managed to be nice to her?"

I laughed, nodding.

"We even hung out at her house."

"And she invited you in? You didn't have to break in?" he joked. I smiled.

"Didn't even have to break in."

He beamed at me, his wrinkles folding on his face.

"So, what's next, nephew?" I looked at him, confused.

"What do you mean?" I asked. He gestured at me, seeming like I should understand.

"You've got to ride this wave, kid! Strike while the iron's hot!"

"How do I do that?" I had asked my uncle for plenty of advice before, but never really anything about a girl I really liked. Not about a girl like Jules. He crossed his arms, chuckling.