Chapter 2 Pt 1 - A Daughter's Integration

June 23, 2002 |31|

Serafina woke up to the crash. Eyes closed, their tiny hands still knew to grab the easel to steady themselves. After a moment, the nausea passed and they opened their eyes to see the paint brushes splayed in chaos on the floor of their garage as gravity had always seen fit. The door to the house opened behind them and Serafina dropped to their knees to gather the brushes.

"I'm sorry," they said. "I'll clean it up." They hadn't been fully conscious when the mess was made. Still, they felt a five year old's shame – my own version of Mom's Ghost. More than shame, however, Serafina felt dread for the mess they were about to make.

"That's okay, sweetie. Accidents happen." Serafina flinched at the sound of their mother's voice. "Did something happen?"

Serafina finished gathering the brushes and replaced the holder, then stood to face their mother. Their eyes flashed up to Martha's, but couldn't last longer than a glance. Her expression – always the same, burned into Serafina's memory – showed mild concern that something had upset her daughter. But most of all, it showed the abundance of hope and optimism that Serafina was about to obliterate. She doesn't know yet. If they could bottle that hope and optimism, Serafina would. Instead, their immortality dangled it in their face at the start of each life like grapes before the starving.

In previous lives, Serafina had tried to make the charade last, but couldn't fool their exceedingly attentive and supernaturally perceptive parents much longer than an hour before they knew something was wrong. An hour Serafina would spend dreading the inevitable.

"I'm not upset, sweetie," Martha said.

Serafina couldn't take it. I can't pretend! They turned and ran out the open door into their home and to the kitchen where their father was unpacking groceries.

"Hello, young lady," James said, just as innocent.

"Come with me, Daddy. Come with me," Serafina said, forcing out the baby talk. They grabbed his hand and pulled him out of the kitchen.

"Okay, okay. What's your rush, Ser-Bear?"

Serafina steered him into the living room and onto the couch. "I have something to show you," they said then ran to Martha who'd come in from the garage and pulled her to the couch as well. "You too, Mommy." At least you'll be together and at least you'll be sitting down.

They left their parents' curious faces and ran back to the kitchen, then dragged a stool to the pantry. On the top shelf, they found a six-pack of 7up. Once upon a time, their parents had told them the story of James declaring his immortality to Martha and presenting her the can of 7up because he already knew it would calm her nerves.

Presently, James called from the living room, "Need any help in there, Ser-Bear?"

With most of the strength their five year old arms could muster, they tore a can from the pack. "No thank you. Just getting a prop," they called back as they climbed down the stool. Serafina didn't think the can would actually help their mother avoid a panic attack. That's a lost cause. But they thought the sight of it might trigger old habits in their father. How many times has he stood before a similar Rubicon?