Chapter 8 Pt 2 - Fishing in Urbana

Trigger warning: a lot of fucking curse words.

∞ ☆ ∞

The 3rd of December, 2016, My Sixteenth Life

The wind picked up, raising goosebumps across my bare arms.

"Aren't you afraid you'll like, get sick?" my roommate, Peyton, asked in her pink and black oversized puffer jacket.

"The cold won't make me sick," I said as we walked down the sidewalk away from our dorm. It was the Friday night before finals week and the campus was buzzing with its last chance to let loose before the cramming began in earnest. It had been a long time since I'd had a last chance to do anything, the concept of finality having left me lifetimes ago. I stepped on a patch of snow and felt it soak through my Converse. "I could get hypothermia. But I'm a long way from that."

"Because you know what hypothermia feels like?"

"I do and would not recommend it."

"Oh, right. Because this isn't your first life? Because you're stuck in a time loop, living your life over and over again?"

I ignored her skepticism as we crossed the street. I didn't care that she knew. I didn't care that she didn't believe me. I didn't care about anything. Yes, I'd had hypothermia. I'd also died - felt the heat leave my body, my cells flutter to a stop. Heat, cold. Pleasure, pain. Life, death. All of it had deliquesced into the gray mush of my existence.

"Don't get me wrong," she said. "I love a good time loop story. It's getting a little played out, though. Like, every other month, hey look, another time loop show. LOL, it's like I'm in a time loop."

"We're going to stop talking about time loops now," I said flatly.

"Oh. Sure. Sorry," she said as we passed a group of boys heading west toward Champaign and its frat houses and campus bars in search of a similar group of girls with loosening inhibitions. Peyton and I continued east toward Urbana, past university buildings and the snow covered Quad, until finally reaching neighborhoods of unaffiliated student housing.

"How much farther?" I asked.

"Not much," she answered. "Sierra said it's on the corner of Orchard and Washington, supposedly. Giant white house. Crazy loud music. Can't miss it."

"Sierra?"

"The girl from my Psych 110. Hella chill. She's the drummer of the band that's playing. Everyone's talking about them like they're some kinda force of nature. They used to be called Toluca Lake Adjacent, but supposedly they changed it after they kicked out their lead guitar."