Chapter 4 Pt 1 - Holy Nutrition

June 25, 2002 |31|

Martha laid the tomato and mozzarella slices across the three plates in alternating spirals. Next to her, James sliced leftover grilled chicken into bite sized pieces.

"What an amazing story," he said. "When I came to, for good, in my second life, my mom and I were in a pet store and I knocked over a fish tank. I remember feeling as confused and helpless as the scattered goldfish suffocating on the floor must have. Then I bolted out of the store and into the street, screaming gibberish, and caused an accident. I'm so glad Sera had you. Sorry I wasn't there to help?"

"Well, that you couldn't have known and this you was there to help. So... you're forgiven?" She reached across him to grab the olive oil.

"Basil first. Basil first," he corrected.

Martha stared at him a moment. I've made a Caprese salad before...

James lifted his hands. "You've made a Caprese salad before."

As she spread the basil and sprinkled the oregano, both fresh from her herb garden, she asked, "Are you sure she'll like this? She hasn't before."

"I think so. Guess there's only one way to find out." He added the chicken to the plates in the open spaces Martha had left, then walked to the edge of the kitchen and shouted toward the garage, "Ser-Bear?"

"Yeah?" Serafina responded.

"Lunch!"

"Kay!" A few moments later, they entered the kitchen. "Do I smell Mom's Caprese salad?"

"That you do," James confirmed.

"I have the bessst parents in the whole... wide... worrrrld!" they sang as they took their seat at the table.

Martha chuckled then added the oil, salt, and pepper to finish. She brought the three plates to the table, then she and James took their seats across from their daughter.

Serafina bowed their head, brought their hands together, and began whispering beneath their breath. Martha and James – an agnostic and atheist, respectively – stared at Serafina and then at each other. Serafina raised their head and happily began to cut into a tomato.

"Were you... praying just now?" James asked.

"Yep," Serafina responded as they chewed their food. "So good, Mom. It's the freshness of the oregano. Muah." They gave their mother the chef's kiss gesture.

"Thank you," Martha said. "But..."

"But yeah," Serafina continued, their voice pitched and squeaking as one yet to begin kindergarten would. "The praying is weird because neither of you are religious."