Chapter 2 Pt 3 - Small Victories

Butter sizzled beneath the bread as James flipped the sandwich in the pan. He sprinkled on the slightest pinch of garlic salt. Spices make Sera suspicious so she won't stand for rosemary and thyme but the butter will hide the garlic. As the bottom slice browned to golden perfection, James deftly lifted the top. Melted Gruyere, Muenster, and white cheddar resisted the pull in gooey, mouthwatering strands. Before the cheese had a chance to shift, he snuck in five pickle slices then closed it back up. He pressed the sandwich with his spatula one last time then took it off the pan and placed it on Sera's Blue's Clues plate.

It wasn't until after he'd sliced off the last of the crusts that he remembered for whom he was making the sandwich.

Holding the plate, he turned to Serafina, already seated at the table. "Sorry. You probably eat your crusts now. Probably over a regular plate too."

"I don't care about the plate. But yeah, if I'm making it myself or ordering it at a restaurant, I'll keep them on. Honestly though, you could make your grilled cheese with or without as long as you don't stand there holding it all night."

James chuckled. "But of course, petite mademoiselle," he said in his best maître d' and set the plate in front of her.

Serafina tracked the plate with hungry eyes, her smile spreading as it descended. They picked the sandwich up and took a triumphant bite. The cheese stretched then snapped to curl around their chin. "Oh my God," they said as they chewed, their eyes rolling back. "It's been so long. Your grilled cheese is the best..."

"Why thank you," James said.

"Best meal of my life," they said as they finished chewing another bite. "Don't ever change, Dad."

"Even with the pickles?"

"Are you kidding... The pickles..." they said between bites. "...are the best part. But also... it's what you always cook tonight. And for me, it signifies that the worst of it is over." They paused their feast and looked toward the garage solemnly. "Though we've a long way yet."

A moment of awkward silence passed before James said, "To small victories."

Serafina turned back to him and smiled. "Cheers to that." Then they took another bite.

After they finished, they left to brush their teeth and dress for bed. James tidied up the kitchen then walked to Serafina's room where they sat up in their bed, eyes tired. They hadn't grown into their twin bed just yet and the pillows and stuffed animals arranged along the back dwarfed them as they smiled at their father.

"So..." James said. "Do you still need me to read you a story or... tuck you in?"

"Well, in my first life or... yesterday, trying to fall asleep alone in a darkened room was too frightening for me. It isn't anymore. So if you don't want to read me a story, I'll be okay. But I don't know..." Serafina shrugged her shoulders. "It's kind of like you and grandma?  Even after you..."